• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Had to put my 5-1/2 Yr Old Lab Down, starting to look for a new pup

sleepymoewi

Had a 5-1/2 yr. old yellow male from a local litter. Very good dog, plenty of instinct and drive. Early Jan. showed some inflamed lymph nodes and I was very worried. Had to put him down last Monday, couldn't believe how fast, had a biopsy and was intermediate stage lymphosarcoma? but obviously progressed rapidly.

Anyway, starting to look for a yellow female this time. Doesn't need to be a trial dog but want the regular certifications, eyes, hips, etc. A friend of mine mentioned his 3 yr. old black male had some anxiety attacks while in the field and now can't take him out anymore. Don't know the name of the disorder.

If you are a breeder within 150 miles of Stillwater I'd take some info.

Thanks

Quote:
Don't know the name of the disorder.

Sorry to hear your loss, the disorder is called EIC, easily tested for if the breeders are being resonsible. Don't let color be your main factor in buying a new pup, health clearences, performance titles and your gut feel, are the best to go by, there are no guarentees but you might as well put all the cards in your favor from the start. Good luck in your search.

sleepy, very sorry to hear about the loss of your companion. I have done the research in picking good genetics for an upcoming litter. GMPR/MH stud is from a well known breeder near the metro area. Both parents of this litter are EIC and PRA clear, OFA hips good/excellent, current on CERF, stud is CNM clear and dam is CNM pending/paternally clear and maternal not tested but was also paternally clear. This will be an all yellow litter in the Alexandria, MN area. Expected whelp date is May 21st.

Todd, that is correct, it take two to produce a litter of quality dogs. As for personal titles of the female, that she does not have. Not everyone has the time nor resources to pursue all the titles, though I wish I did. We may start to run some local events later this year. What the female does have is the necessary health clearances you don't find in many litters being offered today. Her pedigree is packed full of GMPR's, MH's, MHR's, state and US open pheasant champions providing the genetics for her to be what she is. Because of her qualities is why a trainer/breeder wanted to buy her for his kennel program and guiding service. All that being said, even if you breed NFC x NFC does not mean every pup is going to be NFC quality. Sure it increases your odds of quality but in most cases it also increases the cost of the pups. In the end, I know I can feel good and have confidence in what I am producing.

Sorry for your loss!! Thats a horrible thing. My brother just got a puppy last fall from a guy in Stillwater. He has awesome dogs!! My brothers puppy looks to be on her way to being awesome too. His name is Jim Reinitz. I will ask my brother tonight for the HSOforum and phone if youd like. They have all the papers and have been checked out for everything. He also offers training my brothers is going in soon and ive hunted with some of his other dogs and they are awesome! Let me know if youre interested and i can get you some info

Ok His name is Jim Reinitz, his number is , his email is He does have a HSOforum to check out too. They are great dogs. Tell him Dustin Host sent you too, like i said my brother bought one last fall it has been awesome. The HSOforum is [Note from Admin: Please read forum policy before posting again. Thank You]

Sleepy,

It is difficult to ascertain the exact affliction of your friends lab. I can tell you if it is EIC (Exercise Induced Collapse)I feel for the gentleman. I have a georgeous Chocolate male that suffers from EIC. For some reason, probably related to stress levels, it occurs in temperatures above 65 degrees. When he works hard in warm temperatures typically greater than 20 minutes symptoms come on relatively quickly, starting with the induced heavy panting and then he becomes less stable on his feet, shortly followed by the dropping of his rear haunches and then in severe cases he basically crawls. This can be very dangerous for the dog, I immediately find a way to cool him down with well water or ice. You will find that some dogs can have even more severe reactions resulting in death either in the field or by drowning. Although it limits my ability to hunt him in warm weather I have three other labs to take on that type of work. I work the 100 lb Chocolate early morning and late evening. He is my "go to" waterfowler and when the weather is cool he doesn't get the stress that induces his EIC, hence this is his nitch. If you are looking for a new pup with all of the certifications you may want to make sure that EIC clear is included. The UofM does have the testing available. Although I would love to have a pup from this male I have chosen to neuter him as the responsible thing to do. EIC skips a generation so although his pups may be perfectly fine they will all be carriers and any litters resulting from a mating with this litter will likely have EIC problems. Best of luck on your search and very sorry to hear of your loss in what should have been the prime of his life.

eagle & Todd,

My apologies,I did mis-speak in an attempt to shorten the breadth of the note, should've known better.

The points I was attempting to share:

1) If you have an afflicted dog there are some options out there and all may not be lost. By changing your work regimen along with hunt strategies success in the field may still be attainable.

If you have a severely afflicted dog there may be some help in the form of supplements intended to treat a metabolic myopathy. Success has also been found in the form of a steroid or Phenobarbital (anti-seizure med.)

2) Arguably given the research and depending upon the circumstances you may not be 100% guaranteed of getting an EIC clear dog but breeder testing does give you better piece of mind.

Thanks for squaring my poor phrase usage, much appreciated.

Quote:
1) If you have an afflicted dog there are some options out there and all may not be lost. By changing your work regimen along with hunt strategies success in the field may still be attainable.

If you have a severely afflicted dog there may be some help in the form of supplements intended to treat a metabolic myopathy. Success has also been found in the form of a steroid or Phenobarbital (anti-seizure med.)

When this test first came out they did some free testing at various retriever clubs and some of the trial dogs came back affected and the owners had never seen a problem, and thats where the real problem lies, some dogs never show any signs. The test is a great test, for the most part if the breeders are doing there part there should never be another affected dog again, but we all know that most likely will never happen. And a carrier dog is just as healthy as a clear dog. You certainly are doing the right thing by not breeding your affected dog, hats off to you.

Sleepy,

I have a 6 yo YF. Took her to the vet on her 6th bday and had the same diagnosis. Still have her but she is most likely going to be put down this week. My daughter ( 11 yo) and wife are torn up, not to mention me... She's my baby and a great hunter with a solid point upland bird hunting. I'm bringing her in this week as she's not eating and her nodes are so swollen and she's skin and bone now...don't want her to suffer any more.

I am also looking at some breeders and want another pointing lab. Anyone with suggestions for breeders with pointing pedigree is appreciated.

PF

Floater,

I have a litter expecting to whelp may 20th. The pedigree is packed full of some of the best pointing lab genetics in the US. The sire is an APLA 3.5X GMPR/AKC MH. The dam sired by a GMPR and genetics going back to Rik's Risky Raider. These pups will also be clear of EIC, CNM, and PRA. Very few litters that have all the health clearances.

PFfloater- My buddy's dog is "with childs" now. He bred his Chili with Riley at Holzingers(See his HSOforum) His females has its Sernior Hunting Title and I think Riley has his senior hunter also. Chili also has a pointing title(Junior Hunter I think). Something to look into for ya. Not sure what kind of money you are looking to spend but he is taking deposits now and has 4 sold already and they are not born yet.