• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Beeper Collar?

Kylersk

I've got a 9 week old GWP. I'm just learning all about training a hunting dog. My intent is to take him at the very least Pheasant Hunting and Grouse hunting. I hope to get into water fowl as well. I'm a novice at all of this (hunting and training). It should be a great learning curve for My Daughter, dog and my self. smile

I've been researching some of the ecollars and think I'm leaning toward the SportDog 1825 or TT basic. The sportdog 1850 has a beeper with it. I'm not sure if I can add on a beeper to the 1825 though.

Anyways, is a beeper collar something I'll need/want?

Thanks in advance.

Some like them. I have two sets of 1850's, one for each dog. Thought I'd use it but haven't in a couple years. Been using a bell on the collar instead.

In hindsight, wish I would have saved the money.

If you do use the 1850, it is really loud. I stuffed mine with cotton balls and covered them with electrical tape to muffle the sound.

In my advice, no we've been hunting pheasants for years using the Sportdog collars and we've never been fond of the beepers. It's always been a good bell (cheep one's can be too loud and can damage the dogs hearing/concentration in the field) besides it's one more thing that can go bad while hunting-If the battery dies in the field you can at least know the location of the dog when their wearing a bell.

Hope that helps let me know if you have any more training questions we've been training GSP's for 21 years and would love to answer any further questions. Gotta love the wire hairs too! -Jordan

Any reason why your not looking at the Dogtra 2500 T&B?

I have the 2502 (same thing but a 2 dog system) and have nothing but great things to say. It has been put to use weekly year around on land and in water and I have had no issues at all. I have never had an issue with the batteries because they last for several days if left turned on. I just charge them before we head out and they definately would last for a couple days if needed.

As far as having a beeper I dont think I could hunt with out it especially having pointers that run big. In thick cover I would never know where my dog would be some days, and I dont like to limit their quartering by making them stay close just so I can see or locate them.

The other nice thing is that I have incorporated using the manual beep to turn or quarter my dogs at times and its much better then yelling (spook birds) or blowing a whistle.

A beeper is nice to have when your dog is going crazy in the pheasant field and just doesn't want to come back when it can keep flushing those roosters out of range. You can train your dog to come when it hears the beeper. If it does not obey, then you can start to discipline with the e-collar. I you do this enough your dog will learn that it better come NOW or else it it will face the consequences. I have a Sportdog 1825 and love it.

I also use the dogtra 2502 and love it. The green beeper is rather loud but can be muffled with tape. I love it for early grouse hunting as well when the leaves are still up using the run point mode is wonderful

Quote:
Anyways, is a beeper collar something I'll need/want?

The answer is it depends. My guess is there will be a time when you will say, gee, I wish I had a beeper. If you can remotely turn it on/off it can be very useful.

You said you want to hunt ruffed grouse----you need a beeper...period. Unless you rarely leave the logging trail. If you're basically a pheasant hunter can probably get by with just a bell. It also really depends on how big your dog runs.

I've owned Tri-Tronics, DT Systems and now currently a sport dog. (all Train & Beep) All have been pretty good. My brother in law has 3 dogs and runs Dogtra. They are excellent. The Sportdog I have now I won at an RGS banquet. Only 1 season on it but seems to perform well. I like that I can remove he beeper off the collar when I am just doing regular training outside hunting conditions.

The dogtra 2500 is a great collar, as you have point only, run and point and run mode. I have 4 friends that have the same collar and we all love them. I can hunt for 3-5 days and the battery is still not dead. don't use bells you won;t like them.