• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Dog is constantly panting

Jack Peterson

I can't afford a vet bill though. He never appears to be in pain... no whining or crying.

Really man? I know vet's can be expensive but you really need to get him in and checked out. There are any number of things that could be going on and no one here is going to be able to tell you what's wrong. Get him to a vet!

well, i've learned over the last ten years that dogs heal extremely well by themselves (for certain injuries of course).

I have a dog because I can...I don't need someone telling me I can't either.

By constantly panting, I mean inside the house...he doesn't pant when he's outside. I don't get it. I give him water to cool down, and he just stares at it. He just never did it before he was ran over, and actually him being ran over was good, because it taught him to stay away from cars.

Might have to hold off on the depthfinder, Jack. Vet expenses are are a part of being a responsible dog owner. If you can afford a new depthfinder, you can afford a vet check.

My dogs needs come before my wants. Good to hear you brought it in. Panting that started after getting it's nose run over definately needed checking on. Good luck...

He just never did it before he was ran over,

Well that would be a possible clue #1 that something is wrong. Not trying to be a SA, but if he is having trouble breathing then you need to have him looked at.

If you are getting charged $180 for a check up, its time to find another vet. Ours is like $40 for the office visit to have a doctor do the check up and then plus shots or medicine.

Your right, no one can tell you what to do, but we sure can hope you know whats right.

PLEASE take this animal to a vet!! For God's sake man, the dogs nose is run over by a car and you just casually toss the event off as if the dog sneezed? Is it not pretty apparent something is wrong? Take the dog in. Explain to the vet it might take a month to pay him. I'll bet he/she will understand, but get the dog in. Today!

My vet charged me $180 bucks for a 10 minute check up...college kids can't afford it anymore! I can't imagine what a possible surgery or x-ray would cost me..

Since you're wondering, I'll fill you in on potential costs of surgery: We're going to be in the hole for 2 grand, dog completely tore a knee ligament frown

Sorry but is going to be more a couple more hundred than 2 grand. My dog is hopping around from the surgery right now. But that is the cost of ownership of a dog

$1800 was what we were quoted for the surgery, $75 for the x-ray, a reasonable fee for the original and follow-up pre-surgery visits, and some meds do come out to a bit over 2 grand.

You really need to go to the vet. Call around and find one that is more reasonably priced. Unfortunately, if you don't have the money, you shouldn't have the dog. It's a matter of priorities (sled/trips vs dog). With a dog, your decision is affecting another being (the dog). You have to take responsibility and take care of it. This dog is going to have to go to the vet many more times over the next 10-15 years and you need to make sure you can provide that. I'm not trying to rip on you, just stating the facts. Not to be rude, but there are homes out there (mine) if you decide its beyond your means at this point in time.

The most common cause of excessive panting in dogs is pain. Unlike humans, dogs will hide their pain and can suppress it without crying out unless it is a sharp, sudden pain.

Respiratory Disorders.

It might be an upper respiratory tract problem such as nasal blockages, growths in the nose or back of the throat, or a collapsing trachea. In the lower respiratory tract, problems might include an inadequate exchange of gases, fluid in the lungs or lung disease. Disease of the chest cavity might include air, fluid or masses in the chest cavity, or diaphragmatic hernias.

my brit pants inside too but that is cause she never stops moving! your dog might just be hot.

BINGO! my springer is super hyper so this is the problem.

Okay everyone, my grandma actually offered to pay for the vet bill for a quick check up to see if anything's wrong. Wow. I'll take him in this week just to see what's happening.

I didn't intend on offending anybody, I just wanted to hear what Acemac said...apparently hyper dogs just get hot inside the house.

Also, when he was ran over on accident, he got better in like 12 hours. That was 3 weeks to a month ago. I think the panting is just from him being hot, because he doesn't do it outside. And when he's outside he is PSYCHO!

Sorry for any misunderstandings or acting like a bad pet owner. I know I have a bad reputation with the way I appear to treat my animals on this forum, but in real life they are just like friends to me. Typically I just say the wrong thing or type something irresponsible because I get angry. I've never mistreated my dogs, and wouldn't mistreat your dogs either. Again, sorry for acting like a no-it-all and making it seem like I'm an animal hater.

Gspman, sorry for the smart alec comment on your thread.

Jack.

I'd still take grandma up on her offer. Just because someone offered an easier, softer explanation, that doesn't gaurentee that's what it is. I know you said you're gonna take him in, but you also sound like since you have an explanation you like, you're sure that's what it is.

IMO, he would have been panting like that before getting his nose run over as well. The "hyper" / "hot" explanation doesn't add up to me.

For his sake, do it today (ASAP).

Grandma might pitch in for that depthfinder too, if you ask nice.

Good luck...

sometimes you get a sky is falling response on this site. if the dog is hyper and moving around and pants after it throws a toy around the house for a few hours I would not worrie to much. Does it also Sleep just as hard as it plays? its prob just a puppy.