• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

question on spearing big fish.

Abndoc

Ok guys, before anyone bites my head off, I know zero about spearing, have never done it, would like to, probably be a blast. My question is with the days of cpr, do you think spearing 40 in plus northerns is such a good idea? Now remember I'm not trying to cause a huge war. Just want to know, When you see fish in the water, sometimes they look smaller, bigger depending on the angles all that, I get it. But if a lake gets hammered by spearing each winter, it has to affect the fishery, right? or is there such a small number of guys spearing the death of big fish from catch and release equals out? Thanks

I don't spear either, so I could be 100% wrong, but from reading many posts here, I think many people who spear practice selective harvest. It's their own version of CPR- where they draw the fish in, watch it's behavior- see how it reacts to the decoy, the noise in the house etc....and they let MANY that enter the holes swim away.

Also, just an opinion, but I think there are more pike deaths every year from gut hooked fish on tip ups than their are from spearing.

I don't spear either, so I could be 100% wrong, but from reading many posts here, I think many people who spear practice selective harvest. It's their own version of CPR- where they draw the fish in, watch it's behavior- see how it reacts to the decoy, the noise in the house etc....and they let MANY that enter the holes swim away.

Also, just an opinion, but I think there are more pike deaths every year from gut hooked fish on tip ups than their are from spearing.

That is exactly what alot of guys do. Its fun taking pictures of fish in the water.

Spearing is one of the oldest forms of fishing. Its been going on for generations and there are still many many large pike swimming our waters.

There are a lot of fisherman that want to keep that big one for the wall. I don't see a problem with a guy spearing one for the wall either. I understand that there are certain lakes in MN where they selectively harvest. We have those in ND too but I really like Devils Lake where the state fish biologist encourages us to spear as many and as big of pike as we can! th :De limit is 5 laugh there are too many in the lake taking a toll on perch and walleye numbers frown So if the water would clear up I'd be helpin our best fishery! grin

I have no problem with somebody taking one for the wall. What I don"t agree with is taking multiple fish in that 10-15lbs range per year.

Spear the eaters in lakes like that. watch the rest. just like throwin back the rest only you don't have to take the slimers off ur hook! grin

I don't have a problem with someone taking one for the wall either.

I don't have any desire to do it myself. Last year, I saw a fish that was in the upper 30" range, maybe 40". It came around a couple times. I probably could have speared it, but I did the "look and release" and let it swim.

It takes a pike about 15-20 years to reach 40''+ in Minnesota and lower Ontario waters.

Just FYI.

Interestingly, I've read that muskies grow twice as fast but their natural death rates (non-angler related) are much higher than northern pike in most lakes.

I've looked and released about 200-250 fish this year not harming a one unless I felt like fish that night. I don't know how many fish i see with half of their lip pulled off from a hook when looking down the hole.

We should hook up and go spearing, you're seeing more fish than me grin

last year i spear about five fish in the 3lb to 5lb range. this year i was holding off for the big one. The last two weeks i got a 10lb and an 8lb. Only got two fish this year but just like deer hunting holding off for a big one you let a lot pass. Passed up a lot of chanes at smaller but just wanted the big one this year. Next year i hope to get the giant at least a 13lb id like to try to smoke it. grin gotta love this sport.

Ok guys, before anyone bites my head off, I know zero about spearing, have never done it, would like to, probably be a blast. My question is with the days of cpr, do you think spearing 40 in plus northerns is such a good idea? Now remember I'm not trying to cause a huge war. Just want to know, When you see fish in the water, sometimes they look smaller, bigger depending on the angles all that, I get it. But if a lake gets hammered by spearing each winter, it has to affect the fishery, right? or is there such a small number of guys spearing the death of big fish from catch and release equals out? Thanks

Don't get hung up on the method.

The sportsman not the method decides to harvest the fish.

It is no harder to release a northern pike several feet bellow you by not throwing the spear, than it is to release one in your hands as you are removing the hook.

It is no different than deer hunting with the bow or rifle methods. The bow or the rifle does not decide to harvest the deer, the sportsman does.