• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2011 spring hearings questionnaire

Question 58 was asked last year as well, and did not pass. They all ready run them during training season. That fact alone helped to get a pack of wolves removed (thinned out) by death this year. Between hounds, pets and live stock being destroyed. The USFWS had enough.

Allowing hounds state wide would lesson or spread that group out more. Pressure in the northern units would be lowered. That bad part is the groups that don’t understand what the word private means. The group I hunt with, if we don't have permission we make sure we stay away. One it gives us time to gather the dogs if the chase starts to head towards private. Two some days we have enough problems with injuries that we don’t need to deal with bullet holes. As the saying goes one bad apple can spoil a bushel.

klecker ; that's exactly why I will be there again to vote against it. I hunt zone "C" as do my 4 sons and we basically do hunt public lands.We know where the guys are who bait to run a couple dogs and we never have a problem with him at all. But there is as you a bad apple and he likes to walk around looking for other peoples baits, the bait sitters and run his dogs off our and their baits. I caught him on one of our baits and he was actually baiting it and started to give me a hard time which didn't last long. I moved the bait sight but never saw him again. He got busted on private land to the north of where I bait guess he thought he could go where he wanted.

There are some real jack wad's out there.

We had a group two years ago pick up our dogs as they were crossing into another section. Release theirs on the bear and deposit ours five miles away. The best part is this happened during training season. Should have seen our faces when the hand held’s showed the dogs doing 65mph.

klecker, I don't like question 58 because it's not fair. The current situation is as fair as it gets. Hound guys get the first week one year while the bait guys get it the next. If you have a strong feeling over one or the other, you can apply in the year where you go first.

Vman, It sounds like the guy around you is a tool. But I really wouldn't worry much about his dogs running bears away from your bait. I've hunted bear with dogs my whole life and pursuing a bear off a bait won't impact if it comes in again or not. Bait activity is much more a function of bear numbers, food availability and habitat in the area.

In reality it would probably be better for this jerk guy to bait your bait than put one a half mile away, thus splitting bear activity. Just a little food for thought.

How is question 58 not fair? A,B and D allow dogs but C doesn’t and it’s unfair? It has the least success rate comapred to the rest of the states bear units. Because of that it's pulling tags from other units. Want prof? I can forward emails to you.

When bait goes first the success rate is higher so I don't want to hear that dogs help to inflate that number. Dog first years it goes down. Lookm at the history on The kill numbers.

I hunt over bait and utilize dogs if needed. When and what season I apply for a kill tag. Bear is Bear. My wife would rather eat it than most red meat. I cook it real good! My kids cried when it was gone.

That guy was and still is a tool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

klecker,

I was simply implying that the current system is fair to both hound hunters and bait sitters. One goes first one year then it rotates to the next. If they wanted to continue that system and allow zone C hound hunting I would support it.

The way it is currently worded is not fair to allow bait sitters 35 days and hound hunters 28. OR that bait sitters would go first every year. That was my issue with the question. It had nothing to do with being able to hunt in zone C. I have no opinon on the how that zone season is structured.

You alluded to the reason I don't think it's fair. The best odds are when you get to start your season earliest, unless you get very hot weather. This way you get to hunt before the mast crops and corn start to pull bear away.

I am not sure what you are getting at with the kill numbers and who goes first. If you are inferring that bait sitters have a higher success rates than hound hunters, I wouldn't agree with that. I think it is just more of a situation that there are more bait sitters (especially in the years they go first) and they are hunting the most prodcutive time period. I support anyone that wants to hunt a bear regardless of their method. It is an opportunity to hunt one of North America's most interesting animals.

Well everyone has their own opinion and that's the way it should be. I for one will adamantly oppose any use of dogs for hunting in zone "C" period. I have meet and talked to members of the bear hunters association and well I came away with a very sour taste as I got a strong impression that its all about those who hunt with dogs and screw the bait sitters they don't want their opinion on anything.The basic impression I got is dog hunters 1st,2nd,3rd and last. I keep getting stuff in the mail to join makes good fire starter.

Vman59,

That is not right and I agree. I may have come off wrong and am truly sorry for that. However I belive that every zone should be treated fairly.

I hunt bait and also dogs. I am on both fences.

I dont belong either because of that! grin

klecker,

I was simply implying that the current system is fair to both hound hunters and bait sitters. One goes first one year then it rotates to the next. If they wanted to continue that system and allow zone C hound hunting I would support it.

Thats all I want.

I for one will adamantly oppose any use of dogs for hunting in zone "C" period. I have meet and talked to members of the bear hunters association and well I came away with a very sour taste as I got a strong impression that its all about those who hunt with dogs and screw the bait sitters they don't want their opinion on anything.The basic impression I got is dog hunters 1st,2nd,3rd and last.

Vman,

Can I ask why you adamantly oppose it? There are areas in Zone C with large tracts of public land which are no different than areas in Zone A,B, and D.

The WBHA membership is comprised of nearly all hound hunters. That is why they are primarily concerned with bear issues that involve hound hunters. What sorts of issues did you want to discuss with them? If it had negative effects on hound hunting, I can see why they wouldn't be in favor of it.

Hound hunters in general are very involved in bear huntign and management in WI. Many bait sitters only take interest when they draw a tag. I'm not saying that is good or bad, but that is normally what happens. I think if you look into what the WBHA has done and supported, the benefits have extended beyond just hound hunters.

"The WBHA membership is comprised of nearly all hound hunters. That is why they are primarily concerned with bear issues that involve hound hunters."

I never stated that the WBHA wasn't involved with bear management. As far as issue's all I want to is for them to tell the members to treat other hunters respectfully. There is good and bad with anything its just been my unfortunate experience when it comes to hound hunters to get the bad that's why i hunt "C" and would want it to stay this way. I have allot of friends who live in Clark cty and have large area's of public land around them. They don't like the training with dogs and aren't happy to see this on the agenda. At least that's what been told to me I don't know their reason's behind it. I can assume your a member .

Vman,

Yes I am a memeber. Being respectful to other hunters and having a good image is one thing that is communicated to the members by WBHA. However, just like any organization the members might not follow that suggestion.

I believe that there is already dog training in zone C, in fact I'm almost positive. The dog hunters just aren't allowed to hunt during the kill season. If I was a baitsitter, that is where I would want to hunt. Because of a lower success rate by only allowing one type of method, many more bear make it through and get to trophy size. Why would a baitsitter want to give that up. Is it really fair, well that is in question.

Regardless of what outdoor activity we pursue, there is going to be some other form or recreation that negatively effects it. There is only so much land to go around. If everyone (hound guys included) were a little more tolerant of others, we'd all be much better off. The reality is most people don't do that.

I can't speak for all hound guys, but I welcome it when a non-hound hunters stops and has a friendly chat. The only bad thing is that usually happens right in the middle of a hunt. But for every 20 friedly people we encounter, there will be one jerk who thinks my purpose that day is to screw up his day. He usually tells me all about it. This isn't exactly what I want to deal with during my recreation. Most times, I am completley within my rights and hunting public land or where I have permission. Heck, last year a 5 acre cabin owner tried to yell at me for hunting on my uncle's farm. In any case this is the reason why hound hunters can be a little short at times, especially if the conversation starts out confrontational.

I couldn't agree more with what you said. Yes they can train with dogs in zone "C" and have been for years. It was repealed for one year and brought back in the next year. I am just unlucky to run into the 1 in 20 more often than the other 19 (LOL). I bait hunt and enjoy it more than anything hunting i do the peace and quiet is awesome along with what you may have come along which could be anything.