• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Cutting a hole

quickfishnoob

I think you would be better off with not buying a hand auger and a saw and instead buy a used power auger. For early ice, your hand auger and saw would be great, but once you get 18+ inches of ice, you will be pretty sweaty by the time you get done with that hole. Especially this time of year. Holy heart atack batman! I can't imagine sawing an entire hole with the ice we have now.

I made a skimmer with hardware cloth and some 1/8 x 1 x 4' bar stock. I just bent the bar stock into a square, attached the hardware cloth with some wire, and then I made a handle out of some scrap plywood cut into a handle-likefull-35690-5760-skimmer.jpg

shape. I think I have about $10 if that into the whole thing. It works great. I have also seen guys use an old tennis racket.

Keep in mind as you get older your going to want a long handle on every thing you use as bending over or being on your knees become a problem.

Did you read this Elwood? You better get some longggg handles on your equipment!!! laugh

I use a plastic scoop shovel with holes drilled in it for hole cleaning. works great. I don't get what you all use a chisel for other than re-poppin the hole the next day.

I use the chisel so I only have to saw three sides. Chisel a straight line for the fourth side and the block snaps off. It just speeds it up and is easier than sawing.

The addiction is in full force. I picked up a StrikeMaster Lazer of "the list", a chisel from a local farm supply store, and a set of industrial logging tongues from a tool and equipment company. I gave it a whirl on my own today. And it went well.

Next year I will probably have to get a saw, a new spear and off course enough decoys for every day of the week.