• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Cutting a hole

quickfishnoob

I know you jokers have offered to meet up and help cut a hole, but I gotta grow up someday and get my own stuff. Looking for your thoughts on how to go about cutting a hole on the cheap. Now I don't want to do it the complete old fashioned way and chop the entire whole, but I was thinking if I got a saw and used a hand auger to cut 4 holes I would be set. At least for this winter. I could probably get a saw for 100 bucks??? Then next next winter I can upgrade to a power auger. What do you think?

I think the saws run a little more than $100.00. You have the right idea on cutting your hole though.

Auger, saw and a sharp chisel and you're in business.

A set of tongs will make your life easier but you can do it without them. Check out antique shops for tongs.

not to take away from a saw but an auger this time of year would be good to have, save some energy with an auger then chip in between the hole and it works great I did chipper and hand auger my first whole year and dont know how I did it looking back...

On the budget stand point a saw for around 125 and hand auger would be the best bet your on the right track like mj said tho

what ever you do dont fall for the cheeper ice saws. i did. i got a nils for like 80 bucks and thought "what could be the difference". i used it once and got rid of it.

best hole cutting tool i ever got was a stand up tongs. it will save your back. trust me.

a good chisle is a must. not only for cutting your hole but for re-opening your hole the next day. or pushing your blocks back down the hole when they freeze down.

if you ask me you have to have atleast a:

hand augar $80

ice saw $120

chisle $50-100

tongs ?

it might seem expensve but its worth it.

o ya spear $200

more decoys than there are days of the year $thousands

extra spear so that when you spear a nice fish in the tail you can spear it again $100

spare fish house $200

and it goes on and on and on.

what ever you do dont fall for the cheeper ice saws. i did. i got a nils for like 80 bucks and thought "what could be the difference". i used it once and got rid of it.

best hole cutting tool i ever got was a stand up tongs. it will save your back. trust me.

a good chisle is a must. not only for cutting your hole but for re-opening your hole the next day. or pushing your blocks back down the hole when they freeze down.

if you ask me you have to have atleast a:

hand augar $80

ice saw $120

chisle $50-100

tongs ?

it might seem expensve but its worth it.

o ya spear $200

more decoys than there are days of the year $thousands

extra spear so that when you spear a nice fish in the tail you can spear it again $100

spare fish house $200

and it goes on and on and on.

could not agree more...

Fishtoys saw is a got to have

sharp chisel

this time of year a power auger is nice but if all you have is a hand auger than that will work

If you are looking for a hand auger I have one that I will give you but you will need to put new blades on it just let me know and I may possibly be able to help out when it comes time for a power auger..

When I started out I didn't have a saw. I did have a power auger though. I just overlapped my holes and chiseled off the points. It works fine I just happen to like the nice square cut hole.

Thats what I did for quite a few years, just overlapped the holes with a power auger.

When I started out I didn't have a saw. I did have a power auger though. I just overlapped my holes and chiseled off the points. It works fine I just happen to like the nice square cut hole.

Me too

I'd skip the saw and hand auger and try and get a power auger. You won't catch me trying to drill holes this time of year with a hand auger. Makes my arms burn just thinking about it. You can find used augers around for $150

I pull mine out. You will get alot of opinions on this. Mine is that i've had enough fish come in right under the ice that I do not want anything in the way that could block them.

Tongs are fairly inexpensive to buy. I have a couple set of stand up tongs that can get expensive but the smaller sets work fine.

just got into it this year.

use power auger for holes

had a chisel

Spear $90

one decoy $20

sucker harness $3

One sucker a week $2

I have been quite successful and have had a great time! I dont see myself buying any new equipment anytime soon!

The less you have to bend over to pull the chunks out the better. This would lead me to recomend a longer tongs and the type that pulls tight when you only need to pull with 1 hand. And forgive us we didn't mention ice cleats for your feet so you don't slip and gives you the leverage you need to get the chunk out. I just shove them under this time of year less chance of hurting yourself.

Power auger, ice saw, tongs. Right now I can't imagine a hand auger. Four holes is OK early season, six mid-season so I get two blocks, and now I'm drilling 12 holes (three rows of four) and sawing. Drilling takes less effort than sawing but there are more chips to skim out.