• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

My New Yak

I got out on WBL today for a few hours, the wind was kind of blowing me around so I didn't fish a whole lot. But I made a lap around Manitou Island and found some not so windy areas. Didn't catch anything again - been out three times on my kayak this year with zero fish to show for it. Then again I haven't spent that much time fishing while I've been on the water. Water temp was between 43-45 today.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's cool that you were at least able to get out. I just got the license for my mini bass boat, but since it's rough and grooved plastic, I'm going to have to paint the DNR numbers on it. I can make a stencil off my computer and attach that before I paint. There is no way anything will stick to this. The actual license will probably need to have caulk around it to keep it on. My trolling motor will be hear Tuesday and a friend has a 1 year old deep cycle battery he'll let me have for $25. I think I'm looking at 2 weeks or more for my maiden voyage. I showed it to my 4 yr. old grandson today and he couldn't believe it was a boat. grin But, he does want me to take him out fishing in it.

bassfisher: with the wind blowing you around, have you ever tried a drift sock? i was thinking bout getting one for my yak. i've never used one but i'm curious to see if it would really help slow down being wind blown.

Cyeezy: The few people i've seen comment on them usually say they're not worth it. But, I haven't seen too many people that have used them before, so I'd say give it a shot and let us know! Usually a simple anchor is sufficient enough for my needs.

Cyeezy - I haven't ever used a drift sock. I have an anchor and I created an anchor trolley to help with positioning but I haven't mounted my anchor cleat yet. I don't really have access so I can't use nuts and bolts for mounting which would make the cleat the most secure. I want to use well nuts but I can't find anywhere around me that sells them and I'm not too sure of sizes to order online. It's been a pickle I've been in for weeks, I might settle for rivets but I'm just nervous about it holding up, doesn't seem reinforced enough. although my anchor is only 3lbs.

you know that's the thing, i'm the kind of fisherman that likes to move around a lot. pulling the anchor in and out all the time just wont work for me. i hated doing it in my canoe and will probably hate it in my yak. that's the reason i'm wondering about the drift sock. if it turns out that it doesn't work then i guess i'll just have to avoid windy days again.

I've used a SEATTLE SPORTS Kayak Drift Anchor in my solo canoe. The canoe sits up higher and thus catches more wind than a kayak, and yet the sock works pretty well in somewhat breezy conditions. But I still moved along pretty fast during a decent wind.

For $30, it's a nice option to have. I've used it more than a regular anchor.

Once again, the weather has sucked all of the days that I would have had the time to get on the water. Friday looks fantastic, yet, I'll be in class, then on the road all day long for work. Summer needs to get here ASAP so I can get my first float in. I'm eyeballing next week for the maiden paddle now.

Anyone been out at all, or plan on getting out anytime soon?

Ok Don't laugh, but I actually had a chance to get out in my wife's kayak on Monday (before the weather hit). We just bought her a WS Tsunami 135 because she likes to tour more than fish. We'll most likely order mine (probably a Native Manta 14) in a couple of weeks...we just couldn't swing both at the same time. I decided to get her's first...cause if momma ain't happy... cry

Anyway, I just couldn't stand it anymore so I took her yak out on Red Rock Lake in EP for an hour after work. The temp was 63 and no wind...the lake was like glass. I was a little cramped in her boat but it was so nice just to paddle around the docks, just wishing I had my yak and a fishing pole!

Finally got out on my yak today. didn't get out until noon but the water is still pretty cold. didn't take my humminbird out so don't know the exact water temp. i took my seat off my yak and forgot to grab it when i left my house so my [PoorWordUsage] ended up soaked. think i will get some scupper plugs, at least for the holes beneath my seat. I did manage to catch a bunch of decent sunnies but no crappies yet on the lake i was on. had a great time on the yak today though!

I have a Kayak, a Perception Caster! Still new to Kayak Fishing but from the few times I got out last I love it! I am up for a Get toegther in the City when ever, as long as I know a few weeks in advance so I can build my schedule around it...

I got out on Friday and Saturday this weekend and finally got some slime on the boat!! Caught a couple decent crappies (10.5" and 9") and 6 or so small Northern (they are EVERYWHERE in this lake and are impossible to not catch). I got it all on video so I'll upload it soon!

Wow, you've been busy. That thing looks like the ultimate fishing rig! My maiden voyage will be tomorrow or Tuesday. I'm getting pumped!

Are you using your car roof to transport it? I'm curious what kind of tie down system you're using. That's been my dilemma as I'm not entirely sure how I want to hook it up yet.

Here's a video of the first fish I caught from my kayak this last Friday.

(Love the vid, but you are going to need to "bleep" out any "effinhymers"or any other potty mouth stuff before I can allow it to be posted, sorry.....Duff.)

I don't see how a person can't be anxious to get out on the water after seeing this video. Nice crappies and sardines. smile Glassy water like that would really be nice to be out in. Unfortunately in SW MN, it rarely happens.

Awesome video.

Is the video on you tube? I would like to watch it. If it is what is the title? Keeps getting removed...

Keeps getting removed? Hmm... I haven't done anything with it and it's still up, that's weird. It's titled 'Crappies and Pike from a Kayak'. Yeah, the northerns can get annoying in that lake but on a 5' little UL it's kind of fun! I was surprised with the size of the crappies too. I swear that is the only day this spring I've seen the lakes calm, so I flew home from work and launched my Kayak. I couldn't not fish it!

Ahhh..I see. It's because I swore in the video! I understand now, my fault. I'll keep that in mind. I missed my first fish I hooked into and let out a casual eff word, good to know! Sorry again.

I'm pretty casual with that type of language myself, it takes some effort to keep it on the down low when taking some video, almost impossible to do with a group of guys. So just edit it out or add some music and those links to those types of vids are just fine. Thanks! cool

Yeah, I'll keep that in mind. My editing software doesn't have a bleep but I'll add music or even better just try to remember not to swear. Ha. Here is another short video of me fishing for crappies but catching northern pike on my ultralight. No swearing in this one.