• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

My New Yak

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went out and shopped some fish finders today too. The more and more I look at them, the more I want to spend more money on one. I'm leaning towards the 385ci right now I think. I just need to convince myself it's a good idea to drop that kind of money. I am pretty sure though that I want a colored screen. The B&W are just too hard to see.

I just got done finishing my fishfinder install, and I'm pretty happy with it. My FF is a Humminbird PiranhaMAX 170, I utilized HBird's return program and got the transducer that fits into my OK Trident 11's scupper hole for no cost. I mounted my FF on the scotty Piranha post.

Photo0724.jpg

I have the wire going from the ducer through a wire cap that I purchased at West Marine.

Photo0723.jpg

I then mounted a Scotty Compact Threaded flush mount between my ModPod and bowhatch.

Photo0714.jpg

The wires come out from the bowhatch from a Liquid Tite fitting I bought from Hook1, I used the 3/4" size.

Photo0727.jpg

I'm debating about using a Triple Bar with an extender

Photo0725.jpg

or just mounting my FF in the flushmount and keeping it simple....

Photo0726.jpg

I've looked at that triple bar, and the one issue I have with it is that I feel it might get it the way sometimes. But the install looks great! Good job man. Looking forward to seeing that rig in action.

Yeah, I'm not completely sold on it either. I'm thinking I'll use the FF, and then add the cup holder and rod holder w/extender on my ModPod. I found the triple bar for $7 brand new at West Marine so I figured what the heck. They sell for around $25-$40. The last thing I need to install is a zig-zag cleat for my anchor and then I'm DONE. Finally, haha. I have my PFD coming tomorrow and I might try to get out on a small lake this weekend or early next week (if the ice is out, it usually opens up before all other though)!

I'd actually thought about taking my yak down to a pond here in Mankato that's open for it's maiden float. I'm going to hold off until next week though I think. I want to actually get it into the water and figure out how it handles and how I'll be most comfortable setting it up.

Yeah, it's sitting down in the garage right now, just begging to be paddled. I haven't touched it yet, other than to throw my rods in the rod pod and get some tackle boxes that fit nicely in the rear. I've got a milk create, but it's a tad too big, so I need to shave the sides down. to get it to fit.

Hoping to get out for a paddle Saturday morning or Sunday sometime. Lakes should be ice free this weekend. The season is upon us!

Got out for a bit on Saturday, no fish caught but I didn't try too hard. I was mainly just looking to get out and float and get the hang of things. I got a Kodak Playsport so I took that out and got a few short clips. I threw up a video, it's nothing special, just figured I'd start somewhere.

Nice to see someone decided to tread the waters...looks like a lot of fun! Man I wish I could be out there. If everything works out, I'll be picking up my new yak new weekend...hopefully grin

What kind of waders are you wearing (neoprene? breathable?)...been thinking about getting a pair for the colder season...they look warm.

Yeah, I had the itch bad and I was already going through the trial and error of strapping it down on my car so I figured what the heck. It was fun, I'll probably get out a few more times this week. Those waders are nothing special, Hodgeman chest waders. I'll be wearing those on my outings until the water warms up a bit. I got a decent amount of water drip from my paddle as I was trying to figure out my paddle stroke.

I wear my wading belt and my PFD so that baby would keep me floating. Check out this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3b9mUiFc0s. The paddling took some getting used to, I've paddled canoes plenty but it'll take me a bit of time on the water to feel like I'm efficiently paddling my kayak. I already can't wait to get out again this week and hopefully spend more time fishing on this next trip.

I got out again today in search for some Crappies, I fished shallow and wasn't able to get into them. I did however become a lot more comfortable with my kayak! Wish the next few days were going to be as nice as today but it sounds like a crappy forecast through the weekend.

You're lucky you've been out twice. Yesterday was the day I wanted to get out, but got stuck catching some pannies from shore and got a little off track. Saw two people out testing out their new yaks in a local pond here. I'll be out the next nice day we have. Hoping early/middle next week.

I actually just got mine sent in today. Had it sitting in an envelope for two weeks. I'm an expert procrastinator! Although... it's just traveling about 30 feet to the PO Box that Humminbird promotions has here in Mankato. crazy

Cool video BassFisher. I was really envious until I saw the ice show up. shocked Seriously, after reading this complete thread, I am really anxious to get my new rig on the water. But, it has to get a lot warmer than 43 degrees to get me out there. smile

Ted, I live 10 miles from a small but productive bass lake within Camden State Park. It's about 30 acres and 18 feet deep and outboards are not allowed. It's also down in a hole so it never gets that windy. I can get there and back on one tank of gas, so it will probably be the lake I target the most. There is also a 350 acre lake - 22 feet deep about 25 miles from Marshall, that has smallmouth and walleye in it, that I will try and hit at least a couple times this year. Those will be my main squeezes for the year along with maybe a 230 acre lake right next to the aforementioned for some perch. With these gas prices, I won't be going too far.