• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I had the opportunity to use one for a whole ice season. We used it on Mille lacs when others were only going out a mile and we went wherever we wanted. Same thing in the spring for late ice fishing. That was great.

The issue I had with it was once the snow got a bit deeper on the lake, travel was still very restricted with the Wilcraft.

I remember one winter I took it to Ely to Burntside for the lake trout FM event. I went very few places with it on the lake due to snow that was probably like 14-16 inches. In fact I had so much trouble that we smoked the drive belt and there we sat a few miles out on the lake broken.

So for me, I liked it very much for early and late ice but not in the snow. We did not have the duals on the back and I might guess that may have made it a bit better for travel in the deeper snow.

I also was not overly happy with the room inside for 2 guys with all our fishing gear.

Would I use one if I had the chance for free? Yes for early and late ice but I would not use it for travel in the snow on the lake.

I had one for a little while. Mine had some mechanical deficiencies that have been worked out in more recent units (I think.) It was an 07. It is amazing on thin ice as long as you don't want to travel too far. As pointed out, it is kinda small for more than one person.

The guy that bought mine is absolutely in love with it, he lives down near Chicago where the ice is thinner and generally less snow.

I would suggest getting one if you have the $$; especially if you already have a bearcat sled and/or a sno-bear for getting out there when winter really hits. 2c

I saw a guy fishing with one last winter and it looked like more of a hastle then it was worth. that and it looked very cramped..

if you can sit in a wilcraft with all your gear on the ice, why is it not safe enough to walk on??

walking is free.

if you can sit in a wilcraft with all your gear on the ice, why is it not safe enough to walk on??

As far as fishing seriously thin ice goes (2" or less) it is the ONLY way to go IMO. OK, hovercrafts and possible scratchers might be OK too.

You can travel with the bottom of the tub scratching the ice as you go so if a wheel breaks the ice, it doesn't have far to drop before the entire footprint of the vehicle is sitting on ice.

They are what they are. If they tried to build them up into something bigger and fancier it'd be too heavy to be good at what it's intended to do

The issue I had with it was once the snow got a bit deeper on the lake, travel was still very restricted with the Wilcraft.

Would I use one if I had the chance for free? Yes for early and late ice but I would not use it for travel in the snow on the lake.

I looked them over pretty good and had the same thoughts. Based on the design, you could tell that as soon as the snow got thick it was going to be a tough going.

Interior did look a little tight as well.

IMHO, if I am going to spend the money on something like this I want to be able to use it all season. I think its a good idea, just needs to evolve/develop some more.

Scientific Answer - It's physics

Because the Wilcraft spread the weight out over so much more ice area vs the smaller area of ice under the bottom of your boots. The wilcraft actually exerts less pounds per square inch on the ice than an average man does.

Practical Answer . . . and for me personally, this is the more important reason

If you break through walking, you're wet and cold

If you break through in a Wilcraft, you're still warm and dry

Is it really worth it getting a wilcraft just for the early ice and late ice season?

It has for me BECAUSE . . . I've always been the guy who commando-crawled out on less than 2 inches two days after Thanksgiving AND used an extension ladder to get from the shore to the ice during the last half of March.

Some of the best panfish bites of the year, but I couldn't take my two sons with me out on THAT kind of ice. * * * NOW I CAN * * *

I have owned one since 2007, the first few times out I had some snow difficulties. It has unique abilites unlike any other machine I've owned and I've owned many. Once I learned the fine points of operating the Wilcraft I find there is very few places I can't go. I use mine all winter for that matter year round. On First and Last ice there is nothing better. After heavy snows I pick my path, after a few days the whole lake is traversable. I find myself fishing more than I ever have cause its so easy.

I did trade up to a new one this year and do like the bigger engine.

I mainly fish by myself, my wife comes with at times and its plenty roomy for us as we travel light. If you bring the entire store it may be cramped, I guess you could always pull a cargo sled. If you're a big guy

then its a one person rig. When I was at Wilcraft I saw the X-2 it is very roomy and tall but Tom (the owner) said it takes a little longer to set up because of the extention poles and you can't drive with it up. He said it was their answer for spearing. So for me the regular top was the way to go.

Fish2morrow,

I'd be glad to share more of my experiences on a more personal basis (maybe even some time fishing together?) if you'd like.

You know the name of the product and you know my screen name; it's not hard to find me.