• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Big Series

Bryce

Might as well get our trash talking started. I predict Sioux sweep the rodents. 1 goal game Friday after rodents lead a good portion of the way. 3 goal game Saturday. Sioux have seemed slow to start the limited times I have seen them but once they get cranked up, they have a buzz saw of an offense.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been discussing the stance Gophers fans should have on this weekend with some buddies. Here's what I've come up with:

I predict the Gophers will sweep team soon to be formerly know as the Sioux, and go on to win the Final 5 (or is it 6 now?). From there, they will be classically screwed by the structure of the NCAA tournament (designed to allow Eastern teams to have a chance) but will thrillingly rise through adversity to win the National Title. Now where's that kool-aid?

How's that for blind optimism! smile

Nice oppossing views there. A Gopher sweep just may kickstart the remainder of their season, but I wouldn't put a dime on it. On the other hand I think there's a big enough chance that Goldy steals one and ruins the Green unbeaten streak. So I'm going split for the weekend.

Besides, isn't the real "Big Series" up in Duluth this weekend? I'm headed north, not west...

This one is easy, Gopher sweep to kick off the new year and all that stuff OnAFly said!!!!

I better throw a little trash in there too, hard to believe it's been a decade since the Sioux have won a National Championship. They might need a new coach more than the Gophers.

I better throw a little trash in there too, hard to believe it's been a decade since the Sioux have won a National Championship. They might need a new coach more than the Gophers.

No chance of Hackstal being replaced. He's had his team in contention every year.

Bear, I agree. the sioux have been good. but honestly they have been really embarrassing. I am really getting tired of telling people how good the WCHA is compared to other leagues. I trash talk to the yuppy east leagues and what happens every year. Our beloved Sioux choke. The sioux that are suppose to be so rough and tough.

Yale 2-3 regional

New Hampshire 5-6 regional

Boston C 1-6 frozen

Boston C 4-6 Frozen

Boston C 5-6 Frozen

Denver 0-1

Thats all care to mention.

Gophs coaching is terrible. But Hack is going to have to finish one of these years. Luckily i think the fans around here care more about the WCHA 5, than the Frozen 4.

Prediction, I think it is finally going to get chippy again. I honestly, and not just because I hate the Sioux, think the Sioux players are going to make some bonehead cheap plays.

Helgeson from the U will get ejected, Sarratore might get a major. Barriabal and Cepis will take many cheap shots, and hack back for penalties.

I want a split. But think one team will get a 3 point weekend.

It will finally be what we all have been waiting for the last 3 years.

]

Yale 2-3 regional

New Hampshire 5-6 regional

Boston C 1-6 frozen

Boston C 4-6 Frozen

Boston C 5-6 Frozen

Denver 0-1

It depends on how you see those loses Scott. Sure they haven't won the big award and there due. I look at that and say they made it to the frozen 4 4 times and regions twice in consecutive years. Its hard to complain about those seasons. I do think there 2007 team has to be one of the best teams not to not take the championship. I could argue this more but I'll save it for a couple months.

I hope this rilvary gets back to its old hard nose games. Its good for college hockey and for the fans. I just don't know what to think of this Gopher team. Kind of up and down this season which might be a good thing from Minnesota's point of view.

This is the weekend I really miss Jeff Dubay from the fan. It was always fun when Kfan radio would do there Friday show at Southgate bar or Long Haul saloon in GF.

I am getting the feeling we will see some of that old hate/fire too. The gophers seem to be playing up or down to their competition, which is great when we take 3 points from UMD but not so much fun when we tie Ferris State or lose to Michigan State.

cbrooks no doubt Hakstol is a good coach and keeps you guys at the top, like I said just talking a little trash. However one does wonder how many more years the Sioux fans will wait for a title. I guess the Gophs went 23 years so you have some time. Watch out though, those kind of streaks can sneak up on you.

Keep the trash talking coming Bear. Every now and then on pro UND hockey sites some one will write something about firing Hack. Not a chance on a coach with that record. In all honestly I'm not a Gopher hater. I get just as pump about this weekend as any other interconference game. I'm more of a Boston College hater for reasons that Scott had in his post. UND had its struggles in playoff's.

This maybe a little off topic but why hasn't Don Lucia kid(Mario Lucia) commit to his dads team? Does he not want to commit to a program that will fire his father in the near future. I might be reading into that a little too much. makes you wander if that tells you something. Just speculating.

Not sure what is up with Mario or Lucias job status. The 2nd half of the year should tell us more. I just hope we don't have a mediocre year and Lucia does just enough to keep his job in the eyes of the AD.

Who knows what will happen, for all I know Lucia is the guy for the job and we pick up a couple more NC's in the next 5-10 years. Anyone have a crystal ball they want to loan me?

"a couple NC's in the next 5-10 years" under Lucia. Yeah and monkeys fly out of my but. I don't need a crystal ball for that. If I know colleges its how easily its influence by Aluma money. If Don's doesn't have there support he's as good as gone. I can't imagine there happy with how things have gone the last few years.

I'm just glad I don't have to worry about my team missing the NCAA tourament. We just have to figure out away to beat those East coast teams. What Gopher fan wouldn't want to trade places with that smile

No doubt the Alums are Grumbling right now, clearly his job isn't safe. However winning 2NC's at MN in the next 10 years is very possible. I am sure its doesn't look that way now but I am sure a lot of people were saying the same thing about the Gophers in the late 90's.

Making the NCAA's and Frozen Fours is cool, Doug Woog did it all the time. I wonder how long before Hak gets the label of "can't win the big one"?

Hak has already been getting that nickname, I think most of us have heard it throw around the last 2 years. anything less then a championship this year will be a let down for UND. If they make it to the frozen 4. They will make a big deal of it. What else is there to draw up some drama. Better hope they dont play BC. Are we going to see a drop in talent at UND after this year? Just like the Gophs did/are, UND will have some more down seasons. I think that is right around the corner too. Only difference is the Gophs brought home 2 NC's before the spiral.

As far as Mario Lucia, honestly have the Gophs even recruited him. I havent heard them mention him at all. Who is after him? I wouldnt be surprised if he still became a Gophs if Don was fired. If we want him. I dont mind Don, even though I really want him gone. My problem is his coaching staff. Every single last one of them.

I am getting excited. It is going to be a good weekend.

I'm watching Green vs Gold on the tele Friday and then Saturday I'm gonna sink my butt nice and deep in that fresh maroon or gold seat up nort. It's a college hockey weekend for sure!

Didn't UND score Rocco Grimaldi? Dude's very fast, but he's 5'6"? Not your prototypical Sioux player. Kinda reminds me of Dave Spehar from Duluth turned Gopher from years ago, though I think he was officially 5'8". More power to them if they make it work on that frame. Wouldn't want to be checked hard from some 6'4" defenseman though.

Bear, your right Hak has to win the big one and I believe he will. If this season continues to go the way it is, he won't have to worry of being labeled as that.

Scott, I agree with you as well. BC has our number. I've been trying to follow BC this year. I know for UND to win the NCAA they will have to find away to beat this team in the playoffs.

This team is getting playoff ready now. They have been battle tested with the strength of there schedule. One kink in the armor was the series against Maine. Sometimes those loses make a better team down the stretch. I like how UND has overcame injuries this year. They have found good consistent goaltending. They got the depth. There Seniors are leading this team which is different from Hakstal's other teams. These guys are for real.

UND doesn't rebuild they reload. Solbes mention Rocco as a recruit but there are many others UND has landed. If your interested g@@gle UNDhockeyarea voices.

Looks like Kangas is done for the year. Who's gonna replace him. Goodnews, Jason Gregoire might be ready to play this weekend. smile

I wouldn't worry about Rocco turning into Spehar, he has proven a lot more at higher levels, Probably the next Gopher killer, 5'6" or not.

Spe actually had a couple of good seasons coming out of high school on some decent Gopher team but never got any better and couldn't carry the load when we started to sink under Woog.

I think Spehar was a little bit of a victim of the vices that came along with the woog teams of the 90's. those guys partied man. Especially when you are a kid from up north and you come down to the big city, everything is free, fun and easy to get lost in.

Hopefully UND can get it done this year.

What if next year they dont have

Frattin,

Geneway

Knight

Malone

Trupp

Kristo

Marto

Nelson

Forbort.

Now they like the Gophs of the past 5 years. I just dont think the team will be able to hang on to the underclassmen again next year.

Go Gophers.......and only if there are no other choice in playoffs...go Si..nope I cant even type it.

The I don't the underclassmen you have listed as possible early departure will leave. I think UND has three possible flight risk.

D Ben Blood(jr)

D Andrew Macwilliams(so)

F Jason Gregiore(jr)

I think both Blood and Macwilliams have a real good possibility. Gregiore I think is a long shot especially after being injured for so long but that could play into his early departure in other ways too.

Even with the loses they will have next year. They have plenty of underclassmen coming in. Too many. Danny Mattson decommitted from UND to Bemidji next year. There just isn't enough room for everybody to get the playing time there hoping.

I guess you can compare UND with Denver last year. They look unbeatable and just faded at the end. Hoping that doesn't happen but who knows.

Jason Gregiore will be in the lineup tonight. He's been out for over a month. I think concussion but they couldn't report the exact injury(something to do with NCAA rules).

Coaching? maybe. Minnesota outplayed UND in the 1st period and got a 2 goal lead. I like how UND bounce back to tie it up. To Minnesota credit they came right back with a goal. Everytime UND would get some momentum the Gopher's answered. There defense look good as well. Give some credit to there power kill too. It was a great game. UND had some close shots but thats how goes. Tonight should be a good one.