• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Looking at new Fincraft or Smokercraft

bigpike

Hi everybody - looking at buying a new boat, preferably non-current. I've found a few out there like a Fincraft 17sc or dc or a Smokercraft 172. I know they are somewhat different, but the fiberglass version is more appealing to the wife and still would do what I want it to. Both I've seen have 90 horse outboards. Curious if anybody has feedback on either of these from actually owning one?

I've done a few searches but don't come up with much on the Fincraft. Will primarily be used for fishing but eventually will have the family in it and an occasional tube.

Hoping to score a good deal at the boat show - ideally with a non-current model. Do the dealers typically have info with them on non-current models that they have in stock?

Thanks for the help - first new boat purchase.

Not sure if you will find a Fincraft in last year's model, they are a relatively new boat. They were developed by Irwin Jacob's former company, but not sure who owns them right now. They are getting great reviews on the web and apparently are built very well, but I have yet to see any in person. Very affordable for a glass boat.

[note from admin: please read forum policy before posting again. thanks]

I don't have any experience with Fincrafts. They look well built. Not the prettiest boat out there, but they do seem to have some good value in glass. I wanted to post that they are also sold under the Fish Eagle name at Cabelas in a private label deal.

guess one might want to wait a yr or 2 on something like that

or at least get lots of details and some good warrenty papers

i'm presuming if its new its at least in the 15k area

lots of money for an untested product...IMO

I don't have experience with either of them ride and usage wise.

Careful with specs on the SmokerCrafts. Not all 172's are the same.

I searched for a year to find a newer used boat and SmokerCraft was on my rader but only the Millentia or Ultima models.

One of my requirements was 17 - 18 feet in length, 17.5 was optimum.

The Mellentia and Ultima 172 are 17' 2"

The Pro Angler 172 is only 16' 8"

The Mellentia and Ultima 172 are 17' 2"

The Pro Angler 172 is only 16' 8"

For perspective, an Alumacraft 165 Dom or Nav is the same length as a Pro Angler 172.

Is it wrong to quote yourself? whistle

Fincraft is still owned by Irwin Jacobs and his partner. I believe they are made at the Little Falls plant??

From what I hear, FOR THE MONEY they are hard to beat and a quality unit. You can see where they save cost in the construction, but to get a 18' full windshield fiberglass boat for under $20K, what do you expect

This boat was developed with the VEC technology alongside Jacobs other boat lines (at the time), including Ranger. I have not been in one other than the boat shows, but if I where in the market for new boat and this was the budget, I would have to take one for a test ride. If the wife likes it, even better.

I will only speak about the Fincraft line as it is the only one I have been in. As I build them and have tested them on the water in Little Falls.

Although it is a new modal the hull design has been on the market for years and has proven rock solid, no need to worry there. As a fisherman the cockpit design is very entry level but quiet usable for your fishing needs. This boat is fast with a 90 to 115hp, well into 40mph range. The sc modal is definatly roomier but the small windshield is really useless hard to fit electronic underneath. The dc is nice but lose the obvious room. All in all it is a quality entry level boat for a budget and is versitial enough for the family. If still in price range the 18dc is a nice step up. Any question about these boats I will give honest answers.

As for Smokercraft boats I owned a 95 162 stilleto, It was a great boat for me,very solid and never as much as a loose rivet. No complaints.

yrs ago crestliner made an angler

it was glass i owned one it was a boat before its time

and i had it it for close to 20 yrs

and it didnt owe me a thing

i'm wondering if its something like that

bout the time jacobs bought crestliner they quit making glass boat

larson took it over for a few yrs

if its something they modeled after that it was a good dry hull

and really dry ride i had a tiller sounds like this is a wheel boat

If you're going to the boat show, I'd sit in as many models as possible. Make sure you include the mainstay brands like Alumacrafts, Crestliners, Lunds, Yarcrafts, Tritons, and Rangers as points of reference. Then you can get a great feel for differences in price, features, layout, and quality.