• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

spear sailing

mrklean

Seems like everytime i throw my spear this year its sailing funny, only time it didnt was the only fish i have gotten so far this year. I was wondering could it be my spear or more then likely me throwing it funny. I have one of those plasma cut spears, i know others have said they dont like them do they fly a little different then a more traditional spear?

Most likely abit of both but I havent thrown a plasma spear and probally wont ( to each his own) but IMO that type of spear will sail more than traddional spears because of the metal that is on the top portion of the spear.

The excitement can also be apart of it like hunting with pulling the trigger rather than squeezeing it.

I have a extra spear that I made last year that is more traddional that you could use if you would like to try it out. the only problem its not available until after this weekend as my son will be ueing it this weekend on Rainy

Seems like everytime i throw my spear this year its sailing funny, only time it didnt was the only fish i have gotten so far this year. I was wondering could it be my spear or more then likely me throwing it funny. I have one of those plasma cut spears, i know others have said they dont like them do they fly a little different then a more traditional spear?

With the plasmas make sure you are spearing completely straight down.

Some have said to stand up and look down the spear as you throw it.

I like to hold the plasma spears with just my thumb and first or second finger making sure they are straight up and down then just release my fingers and let the spear drop, no throw needed.

Other than that make sure you are not throwing to hard, your cord isn’t dragging on something, or make sure your handle isn’t bent.

I have a plasma cut spear also and the fish have to be in the hole in order to have a good throw. I have thrown mine off to the side of the hole and it seems that if there is a slight throwing angle the spear will porpoise a little bit. I am looking to replace that spear with the old school style.

i met up with my dad this week and he is letting me try his old style spear out, he said when he was over in south dakota on the river some guys were spearing they they were using plasma spears and they said the same thing has to be in the hole to drop it on them

My 13 year old son has a little plasma cut spear and he has gotten a lot of fish with that thing and never said anything about it sailing. It seems to me that a lot of people talk about spears sailing, even with a Kraemer (sp?) spear, but I don't see how that can happen since there is really nothing on the spear to catch the water and make it "sail". I think it is all in how you throw that thing, not so much in the spear.

I have noticed that the harder I throw when I am tossing at angles the more the spear vears off of course. I have gotten in the practice of just a very slight push depending how bad the angle is and yes it still sails at times but not as bad as when I throw hard. Like a post above said, I think a lot of it just depends on the thrower, not the spear.

Plasma or lazer cut spears are cut from a flat piece of steel so when throwing at an angle it will natrully sail just like if you tried to throw a canoe paddle at an angle through the water. a traditional has more of a roundness to the tines and wont catch so much water drag at an angle. also traditional spears are usually heavier and the water cant as easily affect the direction when thrown at an angle or thrown hard.

I think if you have to throw them that hard, you should look for a different spear. Any of mine (no plasma cut ones though) need nothing more than a slight push. When I hear of a spear sailing all I see in my head is a guy throwing a javelin.

A huge factor is how far into the water you have your spear, too...if a fish comes in slow and you have time, you can darn near push it in far enough to tickle their back before shoving off. It cracks me up--I have seen youtube footage of guys actually throwing the spear without even having the spearhead in the water at all!

I get it down there, and I don't mean I submerge half the tines, either. I mean I have the whole head in the water and half the spear shaft as well (I usually spear in 9'-10' of water with my decoy/sucker 1/2 way down). It absolutely will not spook a fish away if you move slow but deliberate. How effective is this? I have yet to miss a fish this year(for the record, I have a cheap $50 spear from a local store--the equivalent of a Fleet Farm store).

well i finally got to toss my dads older style spear and i loved it i like the lighter feel and it didnt sail a bit on me nice and straight, now i gotta go buy one for myself and give my dad back his spear. And i gotta sell the plasma cut one.

I seem to remember that you bought a new spear that looked hand forged Gordy. If so do you have any pics and can you tell me where it came from.

I really like my cheap generic spear and its never failed me but there is something inside of me telling me I need to get a hand crafted spear.