• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Liberal sled

PEATMOSS

Bought a 2000 ZL500 a couple of nights ago from a private party. The sled had been gone over by a mechanic I trust and I went out and put about 30 miles on it the night I bought it. Ran and handled great.

Last night I was working and the wife took it out. shocked She drove thru some slush and stopped to wait for my kid. After that, the sled would not turn to the right. She thought there was some ice obstruction, so she put it in our heated garage overnight. I just took a quick look at it, the thing turns freely and easily to the left, but simply won't turn right. Didn't have time to tear anything apart and I gotta go to bed now.

Thought I might take another look when I get up for work this afternoon. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Sounds more like a NASCAR sled, only wanting to turn to the left.

I second the linkage. Prop up the front of the sled with a wood stump or jack, then watch how everything is working when turning the skis to the left. Then turn to the right and find out where it is binding.

Remember, snowmobiles break down more than any other motorized vehicle that you can buy.

I got a kick out of your clever subject line. If it truly is a liberal sled then just leave it sit in your garage and wait for the government to come along and fix it for you.

LMAO!

I had a '98 ZL500, it's been a while since I've looked in one of those sleds but probably the easiest thing to do is pull the belly pan off, the belly pan is in 3 pieces, pull the center out, it's just a bunch of screws, you can have it off in about 10 minutes, just roll it on it's side and have at it. that should expose most of your steering components and you can look for something jammed in there or a bent tie rod or something like that.

Mike

Maybe something loose fell into and is catching on the steering linkage under the hood?

blushblushblushblushgrin While I was sleeping today (working a stretch of nights), the kid and my father in law took a good look inside. Found that the tool box had popped open and a screwdriver was jammed in the linkage. Embarrassing, but better than an expensive fix!

i once hook a guys car horn to his brake lights. so everytime he pressed the pedal the horn would blow. he drove it nearly 20 miles in rush hour traffic finally going to a mechanic who after a half hour came out with a 25 ft piece of wire. just looked at him and asked if he has mad someone mad at work. It cost me 75.00 as i could not stand to see him pay for this.