• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Stabbin Cabin- off to a good start

ac777

Here's a quick overview of my spear shack (stabbin cabin) build. I started first day in December I believe, and had it on the lake yesterday. Speared my first fish out of it today, which was also my PB @ 4o". It'll be going on the wall, especially considering the lake I speared it out of. SO I think this shack is off to a great start! My wife also caught a few perch and a nice eater pike angling out of it while I was spearing. We take turns with the spear, so next fish is hers I guess.

First night, got it basically framed out

DSC04122.jpg

Now shown with Tin and insulation

DSC04124.jpg

Now it's got a door!

DSC04131.jpg

After finishing the interior, Painted it, attached skids and ski's now loading it to head to the lake

DSC04245.jpg

On the lake, set up and ready to spear. The ski's work awesome. One person could push it, and I didn't even need my snowmobile

DSC04248.jpg

DSC04249.jpg

DSC04250.jpg

Don't worry, I took the pic before I had my numbers and license all on it. It is legal!

More photos coming soon of interior and fish coming in the next post

view down the spear hole putting a duey decoy to work

DSC04252.jpg

yes, it has a loft, it works great for extra gear, haven't tried sleeping in it yet, but it is big enough to

DSC04253.jpg

another inside shot, I need to get a better one that show better positioning of everything, it uses its space very efficiency

DSC04255.jpg

Heres a good start to my season, and to the 'cabin

PB 40"

DSC04258.jpg

DSC04261.jpg

Thanks for lookin!

Laska: Thank you

Hey ac what do you think you paid to get that thing built. It looks good, I want to build myself a small house to spear out of but I am not the greatest carpenter in the world. Anyways looks nice, good luck with it.

I haven't tallied it all up, but I'm figuring it was 3-400 in materials + plus some that I had on hand including the tin, and some wood. I did all the work myself, with a little help from the wife, and I have a woodworking shop, so I had most of the tools needed for it. The more stuff you can get second hand the better, C list is your friend here.

Nice fish! I'm still waiting for my 40+" Seems that for a lake of its size, it has a lot of nice fish in it. Most of what I see are in the 27-29" size, but have seen a few 32 and 33s. The water looks a little cloudy where you are at also. I was going to move across the lake into the bay yesterday in search of clearer water, but ran into ankle deep slush and decided to wait for another day. Do you know if geese or something kept a hole open straigt out from the peir? I was out there last week before the storm, and the was one spot with no snow on the ice, and only one other house on the lake right by the beach.

Nice fish! I'm still waiting for my 40+" Seems that for a lake of its size, it has a lot of nice fish in it. Most of what I see are in the 27-29" size, but have seen a few 32 and 33s. The water looks a little cloudy where you are at also. I was going to move across the lake into the bay yesterday in search of clearer water, but ran into ankle deep slush and decided to wait for another day. Do you know if geese or something kept a hole open straigt out from the peir? I was out there last week before the storm, and the was one spot with no snow on the ice, and only one other house on the lake right by the beach.

I was on the lake while the geese were still on, and the were keeping a hole open way out to the south of the dam outlet. The part on the edge of the pier did freeze over later than some other parts of the lake. There is a few more houses out there, and one guy was driving a pickup out. But I was only measuring 10" And yes the lake may not have the most quantity but it does have pretty good quality of fish.

Were the geese by the opening of the east bay, or further south? How long have the geese been gone? I would like to get way back in the east bay, but wondering how safe the ice will be. Could be why I ran into water and slush, but I was still measuing 10" when I turned around, but if geese kept it open it can change fast. Might have to do some exploring tommorow or sunday. Thanks for the info.

Were the geese by the opening of the east bay, or further south? How long have the geese been gone? I would like to get way back in the east bay, but wondering how safe the ice will be. Could be why I ran into water and slush, but I was still measuing 10" when I turned around, but if geese kept it open it can change fast. Might have to do some exploring tommorow or sunday. Thanks for the info.

ya, They were right to the west of the east bay, they have been gone for a week or so at least, but it still wouldn't hurt to keep checking. I seen you were out there today, any luck over there and hows the clarity?

That is actually my newphew's house. He has one just like mine. I helped him get it out there. Told him I hated to have his house on my spot, but I would just jerk it off when I brought my house out!! I was out with him yesterday, got a 28" about 1:00, didn't see any after that, but it was hard to sit to long when the water is stained and you can't see the bottom. We were gone by 4. Last I heard, he had one about 3 today.

That is actually my newphew's house. He has one just like mine. I helped him get it out there. Told him I hated to have his house on my spot, but I would just jerk it off when I brought my house out!! I was out with him yesterday, got a 28" about 1:00, didn't see any after that, but it was hard to sit to long when the water is stained and you can't see the bottom. We were gone by 4. Last I heard, he had one about 3 today.

I see, ya hopefully the water will clear up soon, I don't think all the rain and wind we had this fall helped anything.

I hope nobody comes and steals your ski's as they have some nice bindings on them still.. grin

haha, I was going to try to get them off, butthey didn't want to come, the aluminum screws like to strip out. I figured they wouldn't hurt anything on there, but they do look kinda goofy.