• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Xbox Kinect demo

Bigbartguy

I had a chance to play around w/ the new Kinect at Best Buy today. People were VERY intrigued when watching me play and they were all waiting to jump on as soon as I gave it up. I heard alot of 'holy cows' and 'wows' while they were watching.

My thoughts?

if you already have an Xbox and are debating getting a Wii: I'd buy this instead. Super neat how the avatars exactly mimic your every move - it was really fascinating to watch. Everyone around found it fascinating also. Super quick learning curve and handy not fooling around w/ controllers.

We already have a Wii so I'm not quite sure I'm psyched to spend $150 plus games on a new deal, but you'll probably see one under my tree this Christmas ....especially if they make some really good looking golf and sports games that are lifelike(not cartoonish!). I can see our friends (adults and kids) really getting into this when theyre over.

But I cant see it working for any shooter/COD/MOH/MW2 and other types of games though. Many games need to have an actual controller. Besides, sometimes I just want to lay on couch and play.

So I was sitting downstairs playing Black Ops and my wife comes down and says, "Let's go buy a Kinect".....I'm like, "OK" grin

I gotta tell ya. It's pretty darn cool. I had a Wii for a short time and this thing (as far as motion recognition) is light years ahead of it. It actually scans your whole body and mimics every move.

You can even navigate the Dashboard menus via moving your hand in the air. It also recognizes who is playing and changes to that profile. Scary cool.

I ended up getting one on Black Friday, along with the Sports game. 3 kids spent hours playing the included Adventure/river raft game and had a blast.

some downsides - kids tended to step out of the 'zone' so they werent being recognized. Had to constantly be reminded to get back in the zone.

biggest downside is the room it requires for 2 players. We have a large family room but the way our furniture is arranged just doesnt work. So I guess just have to move the loveseat whenever we play.

the technology IS scary cool. Wife is excited for the Dance Central game that she's getting for Xmas too.

Scary is right.

My wife got some workout game for it, and instead of scanning you and then selecting a cutsie little cartoon avatar, it is an actual scan. You could even read the writing on her sweatshirt. Then one time my Beagle jumped into the “play zone” and it scanned him too. So there he was on the screen.

I’ve seen some cool hacks already as well. The Kinect allows you to navigate through menus via waving your hand through the air and someone has now made it so that you can do that on Windows 7 too, you now you can browse the web without a mouse or keyboard, just a wave of the hand ala Minority Report.

It actually scans your whole body and mimics every move.

Sounds like they should install these at the airport grin Man the vidgimigames have some a long way. I've got an original Xbox sitting around collecting dust, so maybe I'll have to splurge for a new dust collector this Xmas!

So, still not sure, or do some of you who have it already--can you use the Kinect without XBox Live?

You do not need a Live account to play games, but you will need it to chat and interact with friends (video chat etc) or to play online games.

I know that you dont need Xbox Live to actually play it...........but your console would probably need a software update before it would actually work. I'm not sure if getting an update requires you to have Xbox Live or not?

It does not.

I updated my xbox with out a live account