• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Malone Check-Martin Hurt

scsavre

Certainly a terrible outcome. I don't believe Malone intended to hurt him, but it was a pretty big hit nonetheless. I'll go with what Martin has said about the incident (below). NoDak always plays physical, you gotta keep your head up.

I hope he continues to gather all feeling back in his extremities. Being out for the year is one thing, but hopefully there is no permanent damage.

According to InsideCollegeHockey.com HSOforum:

"Hearing that Malone was distraught over the incident, Martin called Malone and told him he has no hard feelings and that he didn’t think it was an illegal hit.

“Malone obviously didn’t mean to hurt him,” DU defenseman Jon Cook told Chambers Monday. “I don’t know much about the phone call, but that’s very classy and Jesse is that kind of guy.”"

BTW, were there any suspensions handed out?

My guess is Malone will be suspended against your Bulldogs this weekend. I'm not gonna say if this was a dirty play or not. I hope Jesse makes a full recovery from this. For Martin to call Malone who hit him to say no hard feelings says alot.

Scott, you can rip on the Sioux all you want. Five years ago I had a friend who played for the Sioux. He was hit from behind on a play after the whistle. Ironically they were playing Denver. He broke his neck, took a medical hardship for a year. Came back the next year played his best hockey of his career and still plays in germany to this day making a living. Hockey is a dangerous sport. It goes both ways. I hope Martin has the same outcome my friend was fortunate to have. Neck injuries are about as bad as they get.

Just watched it on Yioux Tube. All I can say is that the DU player really needed to keep his head up. He was looking down at his skate laces when he got tattooed. Perfectly clean hit. No boarding. No elbows up. DU guy had the puck. He was not paying attention and paid the price. It is terrible that he got so banged up. Suspension? You have to be kidding. Nothing outside the rules was infringed upon. Just to be fair, yes I am a Sioux fan living in 'Dog(ging it) land. Loved the Sioux since Gino was coach in the mid-70's and they would bring 29 year old freshmen that played about a thousand years of major juniors before coming to college into the Duluth Arena-Auditorium (i.e. The DECC, i.e Amzoil Arena). You think they are physical now? Brother, you don't know the half of it!! Those players back then were brutal!! The puck was just a distraction to them.

Brooks, I didnt state an opinion. I dont know how I feel about the hit. I dont think he tried to hurt him.

He came from full speed and hit him though. To me it looked like he hit him with an elbow, but not a cheap elbowing penalty if that makes sense. Afterall the elbow usually does lead the way of the shoulder on a clean hit. NOw do I think players on other teams would have made that hit, maybe not.

Either way, keep your head up at this level.

Looked pretty clean to me. Like others said Martin had his head down. Looked like Malone led with his shoulder. Don't know how many strides he took from the video so it "could" have been charging.

I don't have a problem with the hit, just hope Martin is okay.

Scott, you can rip on the Sioux all you want. Five years ago I had a friend who played for the Sioux. He was hit from behind on a play after the whistle. Ironically they were playing Denver. He broke his neck, took a medical hardship for a year. Came back the next year played his best hockey of his career and still plays in germany to this day making a living. Hockey is a dangerous sport. It goes both ways. I hope Martin has the same outcome my friend was fortunate to have. Neck injuries are about as bad as they get.

Robbie Bina...?

Yes. Robbie was the player I was referring to. Surprise a none UND fan knew who I was talking about. Some people would just like to forget that day. I just wanted to make a point that cheap shots happen to all teams. I got a little defensive making that point. Wish I could edit some of that post but I already admit where I was wrong.

This hit wasn't as malicous the hit against robbie. The hit Frattin put on Wehr last year against Minnesota was more malicous than Malone hit. It seems the refs are calling more contact to the head penalties since this hit. I wonder if the game will become a more european style of game. Less contact more finesse type plays. I miss my old style hockey, you know like Eddie shore hockey.