• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Dog got sprayed by a skunk!

BigJakeL

Yup, my wise five year old huntin' buddy Thor got sprayed by Pepe tonight! What a terrible smell! Not only did it get on him but the skunk sprayed underneath the porch so it also entered my house! Not cool especially with a two month old kid so it looks like i will be renting a hotel room for the night! Any one have any tips on how to clean the smell out of the house? So far I have used Baking soda frebreeze carpet powder and Lysol. It has taken some of the smell out, however not enough to make it like home again.

Dish soap, hydrogen peroxide and baking soda works.

This odor remover is made from simple household ingredients:

1 quart of 3% hydrogen peroxide

1/4 cup of baking soda

1 teaspoon of liquid dish soap.

Mix the three ingredients together and use immediately. The chemical reaction produced from these ingredients lasts only a limited time.

If you use this formula to remove skunk odor from your pet, be sure to rinse off him off with water. Do not let the solution soak for more than a few minutes.

My brother got sprayed by a skunk pheasant hunting in MT one year. It got everything from his boots to his gun. We had to ride 25 miles back to the farm we were staying at for him to change(in a Ford Explorer). That was fun....half hour car ride trying not to puke. And that was with the end gate open and windows down.

Anyway, he read in Outdoor Life about a fix....burning damp leaves and hold your stuff in the smoke. In the article it showed two guys holding a Golden Retiever by the legs in the smoke. He got a fire going, threw some damp leaves on it and held his items in the smoke....worked like a charm. Something in the smoke neutralized the odor.

Careful with the peroxide, your dog will look like a bad blonde joke for a while. I vet recommended same formula but noted I could subsitute vinager inplace of peroxide and then it won't bleach your dogs hair. Solution worked great after washing him three times within 12 hours of getting sprayed. Caught a little wiff of vinegar everytime he walked by for the next week or so, but anything was better than skunk.