• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Stumped

broken line

Great morning to be on stand yesterday. Saw a small 8 pt, two does and a spike. I then watched another deer approaching my stand, and it suddenly ran away, tail up. Seconds after came the coyote that scared it.

Anyway, the coyote passed my stand at 13 yards and I took a shot. Got complete pass through, blood on arrow, the yote stumbled slowly away and I listened to it wheeze and cough for a minute. After a half hour I went to retrieve him. There was an amazing blood trail, spraying on both sides, it laid down and there was literally a pool of blood. To my amazement, it then got up and went in to the swamp 10 feet from where it laid down (saw very light blood on the swamp grass).

How could this critter have gotten back up and moved after losing so much blood. I am confident I had a good hit. Also, after checking the swamp, I could not find it. If injured will they bury themselves in the water or reeds. Disappointing - I sure wanted a picture of an archery coyote!!

Yep, like others have said, the critter was nearby. I had a similar incident a few years back, never found the yote untill a few weeks later when trailing a deer and I saw something lying in the brush about thirty yards from where my search ended.

Tunrevir~