• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Show off your spear shacks!

ac777

I'm going to start building a house as well. What do you guys suggest on size for two people. I am thinking 5x6 or 6x6. I will build it with the door on one end and the hole straight ahead on the other end. Most of the time the other person with will just be watching. Two of us sat in my 4x6 last year but it was a little bit tight. I know bigger is better but I would like it fairly light because I will have to move it myself most of the time.

Any other tips or pics would be great.

My 8X8 has more than enough room.

I can move it myself but it does get heavy.

I agree that the 4X6 is a little too small for 2

I wouldn't go under 6X6 for 2 people.

(5X6 maybe.. but that is still tight)

You could get by real nice with a 6X8.

I guess some of the questions would be

What size fits nice in your vehicle as far as hauling?

Will you haul it on a trailer etc?

How mobile does it need to be?

How will you store it in the off season?

How big of hole do you like to use?

18 inch vs 24 or 30 inch deep will take up different amounts of floor space.

In my 8x8 I have 2 30"x46" holes.

I don't think you would need to go deeper than 30" but BNS has a much larger hole.

Thanks for the ideas Merk.

Hauling it isnt an issue I have several trailers. I also have a sled to haul houses on the ice that can be pulled behind my sled or atv.

It doesn't have to be real mobile I plan to leave it on one lake and move it a couple times possibly.

My current house has a 30x36 hole and I was thinking on going with a 30x42.

I'll store it in my pole shed in the off season.

I am going with option 2. I'm going to go with one hole. Most of the time I will be spearing by myself. I had some kids and friends sit with me a few times last year in my 4x6.5 and they really enjoyed it. Especially when the kids could fish for bass and sunfish out of the spear hole while sitting there. I just want a little extra space.

012_9A.jpg

outside shot of my NORTHLANDER from Canvas Craft!! Best in the BIZ!!

010_11A.jpg

Inside of my house. The spearing hole is bar none the biggest you will ever see. If you are cuttting it out with a auger, its 7.5 accross and 5.5 down.

009_12A-1.jpg

THe red dot is where i have my reel attacked to my floor. Its a awesome set up. Reason i like it this way is that if a pike comes in and smokes my decoy, and runs with it, it wont snap, it will take line, and 99.99% of the time i get it back without a break!

housewithspearanddecoy.jpg

Northlander By Canvas Craft! Best in the Biz!!

biggest thing to keep in mind when your going to cut the floor, is how many people you want in there to be able to see. For my house, i have 2-3 people in there all the time, and if i was going to have a hole on the other side of my house, along with the one i already have, i wouldnt have enough room to be able to sit 2-3 or more guys comfortable, even with the house beeing a 8X8 house. The more room you have on the back side of the house, the better you are.

Keep in mind that you are going to have to be able to move around and put the fish somewhere, along with your gear!

BNS How do you ever swim a decoy with the reel set up like that?

He swims them like this:

2237517797_6eb3da6e61_z.jpg

He has his brother cut his hole.... the live decoy swims his fake decoy.... Elwood bakes his brownies.... his brother cleans the fish..... Maybe he is on to sumtin? smilesmilesmile

Brotherhood!!!