• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Crutch Friendly Areas at Ripley

Farm_Kid

My brother and I got drawn for Ripley this weekend. Although this isn't our first time going, we are having trouble trying to figure out a spot he can hunt. The problem lies in the fact that he had ACL surgery last Tuesday and is on crutches and by no means can climb a tree. My plan was to set him up in a ground blind but every spot that I like to hunt is better for sitting in a tree deeper into the woods.

Does anyone have any ideas where we could try where he could be in a ground blind and still maybe have some success? Being that he may be off crutches by that time but still have trouble getting around we can't really get in anywhere real rough or thick, and maybe only a couple hundred yards off the roads.

There are a lot of roads at Ripley, my suggestion would be to park in a spot he can walk down the road to find crossing points and then set up just inside the woods from there. That's how I started at Ripley when I was really young, had the most deer ever that were simply pushed out of the deeper woods and crossing the road on a major trail into an off-limits area. It's not fancy or pretty, but it works.

The real down-side of being near off-limits areas is if the deer dies on the side you aren't supposed to go into you have to wait for a MP to come out and either help you find it or give permission to get it if it died within sight. Better be a good shot. wink

If you look on the west side of the camp, there is a big drop zone right off of ARNO Road. Actually, Arno road runs through the top side of the DZ. You can probably drive right close to the north side of the DZ and setup a ground blind just into the woods. There have been a bunch of big ones spotted in that area, so I have been told by the DNR guys.