• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bears

hoyt

I met a guy at the parking spot for where I was hunting Saturday night, he was a local to the area and hunted it quite a bit. Said there were lot of black bear he had seen in there. Just last season one decided to climb up his tree and give him a taste. He had to kick it a few times to get it to leave. I knew there were bear in the area, but had never actually seen one while hunting. Apparently I don't hunt enough. wink

I do believe bears like to eat deer, if they could ever catch one. I actually saw a bear chasing a deer years ago. Their best chance for venison is to kill helpless fawns in the spring. As my unscientific observations go, deer stay out of harms way but are not that afraid of bears because they can usually outrun bears easily every time and just go a few hundred yards and then back to normal. Last year I hunted an area that had fresh bear and deer tracks in the snow and there was no indication from the tracks that the deer were in the least concerned. Wolves, on the other hand, can send deer packing for miles and they may abandon their territory for days before returning.

My wife likes to maintain a bird feeder, but of course it attracts everything that eats. She finally had to quit feeding this year because a bear was raiding the feeder regularly and pulling it down. But the deer were also in it, and I saw no evidence that the bear(s) intimidated the deer from raiding our feeder, they just came in at different times. Just what I to perceive.

I met a guy at the parking spot for where I was hunting Saturday night, he was a local to the area and hunted it quite a bit. Said there were lot of black bear he had seen in there. Just last season one decided to climb up his tree and give him a taste. He had to kick it a few times to get it to leave. I knew there were bear in the area, but had never actually seen one while hunting. Apparently I don't hunt enough. wink

I met a guy at some public land who had a similar story, big bear treed him right at dark, this bear didn't climb but hang around and made him pretty nervous. Staid in the tree for 2 hours after dark (bear moved on) and ran out of the woods.