• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

The Ken and Steve Chronicles: In search of moose and wolves

Hey all:

October, over the last several years, seems to be the magic month when it comes to wolves and moose up here. Unfortunately, not this week. But Ken and I did find a few things worth photographing today. smile

Couple of spruce grouse in carp light

back-lit.jpg

eyes-on.jpg

A ruffed grouse in carp light

ruffy.jpg

Couple of gray jays in interesting light

jay-two.jpg

gray-jay-fall-color.jpg

Couple of Lapland longspurs in very nice light

two-spurs.jpg

look-backi.jpg

Yep. We saw a lot of sprucies, but they just didn't want to come into the light. Steve, the gray jay is top notch! Oh well, a few of mine:

Sprucies:

GR1.gif

GR8.gif

GR3.gif

Lapland longspur:

GR4.gif

Whiskey jack:

GR9.gif

Our only mammals of the trip - a "flounder" beaver and a pest:

GR10.gif

GR5.gif

Just about the last color we saw:

GR6.gif

Where are the moose and wolves?

GR7.gif

all the pictures are as great as usual but no. 4&5 would i be correct in calling then whiskey jacks? i bring a lot of suet up to hang on my camper during deer season and they are my favorite birds to watch. i had one take my last piece of a hot dog out of my hands when i was a kid camping up in ely. good luck.

Thanks for comments, all! I unloaded my last card this morning and am going to post a couple more sprucie shots. My first post came with images from my 7D and the 100-400. This one has a couple from my Mark III and 500. Any difference?

GR12.gif

GR11.gif

It's very cool to see lapland longspurs perched in a tree. That is an incredibly difficult species to get perched off the ground!

Also, you make it seem like spruce grouse are easy to find, and maybe for you they are, but I've had little luck finding them and have read in a number of publications how there are people with over 700 birds on their north american life list that still have not seen sprucies! So, you are blessed, lucky, and talented.