• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Garlic

Big-Al

I planted my garlic today.  My gut tells me it is too early but this is the first time in at least a month that the soil conditions were such that I could work the soil.  I have always gone with the old adage that if the mosquitoes are flying it is too early to plant garlic.  Well I planted even thought I got bit to hell today while planting.  I am hoping the temp starts dropping.

18 hours ago, th64 said:

Just planted mine-do I mulch at some point?

I gave mine a week and then mulched.  For me, its kind of a guessing game.  I don't think you want to mulch real warm ground and have the garlic grow too much under that mulch and on the other hand you don't want to let the ground start freezing.  I'm sure there is an ideal soil temp, but I guess I don't know what that is.  I mulched on a morning that we had frost on the ground.  I don't think you want a couple of weeks of warm sun to really get it growing.

On 6/6/2017 at 8:29 AM, smurfy said:

when do these scapes start forming? when should i remove them? i have a 35 mile drive to where my garlic is planted so not wanting to make a unneccesary trip!!!!!!! 

So is the garlic planted in Itasca or Stearns Co.?  I am in St. Louis co and the scapes will start around now in my neck of the woods.  Let them grow till they form a full curl and then point back straight up.  It takes a week or so from start to cutting time.  Not all plants form scapes at the same time so it may be difficult to hit the right time on one trip.  I am finishing a two week vacation so I would guess mine will be started when I get home.

On 7/30/2017 at 3:16 PM, smurfy said:

Worse garlic crop I ever had. :angry::cry:

That's too bad.  I feel for ya. I had a failure a few years back.  The problem for me was Aster Yellows which that year was extremely common in the Midwest.  What was the problem for you this year?

My crop is the best I have ever had, although it's not cured and stored yet.  It seems to be a bit behind this year vs other years.  I believe I have always harvested by the first of August.  I am going to harvest a portion of my 600 plants today and let some mature further.  I am fairly dry right now, but rain due tonight and tomorrow so I would like to get some out.