• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

rage on large game

PFUNK

Jax, what you see happening when a certain head (Rage, for example) hits a deer really tells you just about nothing for when that same head hits an elk (or other really large critter). In spite of the fact that hundreds of "deer guys" use the same logic, it's not helpful and really misguided. I had the same thought when I went on my first elk hunt and I learned quickly how wrong it is.

I totally agree with MikeE and to add to that, the simple act of deploying the blades on an expandable "eats up" KE from the arrow/broadhead too.

If you're looking for "hard data" and not opinions, look up the work of Dr. Ed Ashby. In a nutshell, all of his research suggests one is best off shooting: 1) a heavy arrow, 2) lots of KE (actually, momentum is more important, but it's easier to talk about KE), 3) an arrow with really good, true flight without much wobble or tailslap, and 4) fixed blade, cut on contact heads. ...and, if you make a perfect shot, all of these things don't matter too much. But... we don't always make a perfect shot, and imperfect shots are when this info really matters (like when you centerpunch a rib or hit the shoulder).

For the record, I shoot mechanicals on deer- they've been great for me. I will never, ever shoot a mechanical on an elk again though...

Mrklean that is exactly what happened. My buddy found the arrow and one of the blades was torqued pretty good. Eiden and Scoot thanks for the info. I've never really thought about the energy needed to deploy the blades as a factor. Also the angle seems like it would make a difference as well. I can see how both of these would be factors on a larger-wider animal, with thicker hide and such.

Unfortunatly hindesight is always 20/20 in these situations. In CO you can't use a mechanical broadhead for elk and I guess that is the main reason why. I find it interesting that all the commercials for mechanical broadheads show the same or better penitration than a fixed blade.

I was thinking of this thread last week while in SD and reading the game regs. SD is another state that specifically prohibits the use of mechanical broadheads on elk.

Later in the trip I witnessed a shoulder shot with a Rage that went nowhere. The arrow only penetrated enough to keep it in the deer for about a half mile or so. We saw the deer about a mile away with no more arrow and hardly even a limp. The thin blood trail let us know we were looking at the same deer.

That particular shooter (an accomplished archer) has used the Rage 2 blade successfully on several Black bears though, so it would seem logical they can handle heavier game. But a shoulder is shoulder after all.

I bought my first pack of Rage 2 blades a few weeks ago and have practiced with them enough to know they are not the broadhead for me. In side by side comparisons they hit consistently lower than my other broadheads (Muzzy 3 blade, NAP Spitfire, Thunderhead, and Shuttle T locks). But that's why we try other options - to see what works for us.

The penetration test shown on the back of the Rage package is a ballistic gel block. Not a flesh and bone animal. I remember Vister's wood test last year and was impressed. I also see the Swhacker commercial with the angling shot through the plywood. Impressive also. But again, that wasn't flesh and bone.

For stand hunting with predictable clear shots on deer, I'll continue to use the Spitfires but have decided on larger game (some future trip) or spot and stalk or still hunting, I'll have a fixed blade on the tip of my arrow.

My buddy has hit 2 deer this year with the Rage's and hasn't found one yet, seems if you hit any ribs or any sort of bone your screwed.

I'm a Muzzy fan personally, I've drilled through shoulders and ribs with them.

I know the deer I shot a few weeks ago I put a 3 blade rage through the center of 2 ribs one going in and one going out broadhead held up perfectly and the arrow passed completly through and was stuck atleast 8 inches into the ground on the other side.

Sounds like poor shot placement is more of the problem than the broadhead.

Wanderer....if rage isn't the broadhead for you; you could give them to me???

smilesmile

i've had tremendous results with Rage....

i think a lot of guys get a "false" sense of confidence with equipment. Rage broadheads are not a fix all when it comes to bowhunting.

if people are losing deer...its probably because of human error (ie bad shot placement, and tracking too soon on a wounded deer...bumping them), not the broadheads fault.

Photo0832-1.jpg

Oh, guys, believe me, the shoulder was not the intended target. Sometimes we don't get what we expect. Not even with a rifle. Things can happen to the best shooters in tough situations. I can't even say with certainty a fixed blade broadhead would have made the penetration. The hit could have been directly on the "T" part of the shoulder blade. Tough to get through by any measure.

The reason for the post was to the point that mechanical broadheads and specifically the Rage is not even allowed for elk in some states.

Matchset, your shot on the doe was perfect and what we all strive for. I'm sure she went down quick. I just know with with the massive cutting diameter of the 2 blade, there was more bone to cut through than a 1-1/8" Shuttle T Lock would have to penetrate. However, with the T-Lock the blade angle graduates pretty steeply and makes me wonder just how much they can go through too.

I'm just saying I now have personal experience with these heads and will agree they're not a fail safe head (are any?) and they haven't held the group for me that others have so I won't be using them. I shot again today and re-affirmed this. I've spent more time with tuning and practicing with broadheads in the past few weeks than ever before and feel I'm making the right choice - for me.

Matchset, if my buddy doesn't want them you can have them if we ever meet. I won't toss em since they ain't cheap and I'm kind of frugal (some say packrat wink ).