• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Stalking?

Rippinlip

How many people do this or have tried to do it?

I have some time today before I go to the stand this afternoon and I was thinking about trying some stalking/still hunting on some public land, is this possible to be successful?

What are some tips/techniques that I should try.

Stalking is a blast. I have been doing it for quite a few years. I usually will try it with the right conditions. You will need wet ground or a good wind. With all the leaves on the ground it is super noisy right now. Patience is key. I try for about 150 yards and hour. Hunt into the wind, walk slowly, take a few steps ans stop by a tree/bush, use your bino's to constantly scan. A motionless deer is almost impossible to see. Look for the flicker of an ear, tail, antler. It is a tough way to hunt but man is it rewarding just to see and then harvest a deer while stalking.

It's a lot harder for me now because of some age related aches and pains, but it can be done! Privious post was right on. You have to "feel" with your feet on each step to go between the sticks so you don't break any. Soft soled boots, like mucklucks, would be a real plus. Stealth and quiet, not speed, are of the essence. It's ok to take standing positions along the way, hoping to intersect a moving deer on a trail rather than stalking up on a resting animal too. The longer you can stand motionless the better. It's a lot easier with a rifle than with a bow, but what would be more satisfying that taking a deer stalking it with a bow. If you do get one by this method, you'll be among the elite of the elite. Good luck.

Good advice from the above posters. I'll add that once you spot a deer and have some distance to close, try to use sound variables when you move, ie. a passing plane, crow and squirrel chatter, geese, etc. I first started doing this elk hunting, but it translates to whitetail just as well.

Two years ago my uncle saw a big buck go into a BIG cornfield during the rut. He knew it was nearly impossible, but decided to try and go after him through the corn. after many minutes he heard a couple of grunts and a rustling in front of him. Looking through the corn he was able to see the large rack sticking through it. He pulled up his shotgun and took the shot. Turned out it was the same buck he saw go into the corn and ended up being a 153".

The trick is to have a lot of wind so your noise is disguised. Going really slowly you can peak through the row and look both ways and then go into the next row...and just keep on going really slowly.

Last year while bowhunting I decided to try the same trick, however I did not see any deer go into the corn I just thought i would try it out and see what happens. I only went about 60 yards in the corn before spotting a doe to my right. she was only about 15 yards away from me at the time however using a bow..how are you suppose to come to full draw and look down the next row to shoot..it would have been easier if she was to my left, being that i am a right handed shooter and would have to shoot across my body. However after sometime she kept moving over 1 row at a time and i followed as she went over one row so did i. eventually she walked right down the row next to me and when i saw front shoulder almost touching the tip of my broadhead I pulled the trigger on the release. She didnt go more than 15 yards. It was the most exciting thing I have ever encountered in my life while hunting. It was such a rush to be that close and go undetected.

I am now hooked on stalking deer through the corn and it can be a successful hunt with the right conditions with a lot of wind. I wish I could have got it on tape.