• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

College Hockey This weekend

scsavre

I hope some of you are right and that SCSU turns it around. I had high expectations but gave up my season tickets only because the other parties we share them with backed out. Having a kid already in youth hockey doesn't open up my schedule to make many games anymore.

I also agree that I wish there was more college hockey on TV. It is just a funner game to watch with the open ice and the speed. I can't stand the neutral zone trap of the NHL (thanks Mr. Lemaire). When I'm at my parents I usually get a choice between MSU/SCSU (charter cable) and whoever the Gophs are playing. Last weekend it was nice to watch UMD vs Bucky.

Dogs do look good, although that last goal maybe shouldn't have counted. It was a close call.

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't have to jump on the band wagon yet. You and Bear be doing that at the end of the year wink. Don't think I forgot. Let us know how the pheasant hunting went.

Ha ha its a long season my friend, the Sioux will lay an egg in the WCHA soon. Like I said before, it will probably come when you least expect it against AA or Tech. Those darn Sioux keep ruining my fun by winning on Friday but I am feeling a mid-season slump coming.

UND has nine more serious to go. This month has been tough. Every week is a grind in this league but UND has the depth to do it. I don't want to get too cocky but I'm more concern about there pairwise ranking. A sweep would have been better this weekend. It will be tough to get a #1 ranking(because of there serious against Maine)for my team. I think they settle on a goaltender now. Hopefully Aaron Dell is the same goaltender the rest of the year as he's been the last few weekends. This past month they had alot of tough losses and ties. Some calls that could(should)go the other way but it will make them a better team down the road. There is no midseason slump. There's only minor adjustments from here on.

Still some sweep chances for UND left on the schedule smile 9 series left, but you have 2 against St Cloud (who will play better), 1 against Minnesota, and 1 against UNO.

As for pairwise #1, I don't think UND is out by any means. Losing to Maine didn't help, but it's not a nail. In fact I think the top 5 teams in the WCHA are all very much alive for it depending on how they finish out their seasons. Getting the number 1 seed used to be a big deal because of the easy first game, but there are no easy first games anymore (e.g. Holy Cross, RIT, Air Force just to name a few).

I see Kangas had the hot hand against the CCHA this weekend. Just when a coach thinks he has it figured out, they switch. Nice win for the Gophers over Michigan. I still hate those stupid Wolverine helmets.

Solbes, I will predict that UMD will be #1 pairwise at the end of the year. They will be a lock if they beat UND in the nonconferance Hall of Fame game in one month. Disclaimer on that game as well;). Those loses to Maine really hurts there chances. I guess it depends on how Maine does the rest of the season. I'm sure UMD will sweep Clarkson this weekend in there only other remaining noncoferance games. I hope your right though. I see UMD winning alot of there remaining games. BTW I'm not impress by UNO. I predict they will fall apart the second half of the season.

I like your prediction, but I will keep my hopes at making the NCAA's for now. And for that, the Dogs are looking good right now. As to the non-conference play, the only game that will likely contribute to UMD's pairwise ranking at the end of the year will be the one UND game on Dec 30th.

Their previous wins against Northern Michigan, Providence, and the possible wins against Clarkson will likely be meaningless because they are not a TUC (team under consideration). To be a TUC, you need to have an RPI in the top 25, and I seriously doubt any of those will finish there. So they essentially are meaningless games except for their contribution to UMD's record and own RPI. That's how I intrepret it anyway, I could be wrong. When you get down to the nitty gritty of NCAA selection, a headache is often the result. Take care of business in the WCHA and it all falls into place come March. And hope that the WCHA fares well against quality opponents.

Here's one that will really make your head spin. You can actually drop your own pairwise ranking by beating an opponent. For example, your team has a flawless record against an opponent on the TUC cliff. In the last game of the season series against that team you knock them from 25th in RPI to 26th or lower. Your

pairwise comparison against that team is now removed and your overall rating drops because of it. Losing or tieing would have kept that comparison alive, resulting in a better pariwise. Kind of a crazy scenario but it can happen.

Hockey was decent, the Gophs are very unpredictable, as usual. I darn near went to the Sioux game, had tickets but couldnt get myself to do it. And it was a 3 hr drive to get there.

With a record of 9-5-2 would the Sioux even be a #3 seed right now. I guess they have beaten 4 ranked teams.

Hunting was good. Lots of birds, bunched up. with the snow they were pushed to the shelter belts. you see 50 of them at a time from the road, but of coarse you cant get to them before they see you. Limited out pretty early each day though.

Here's one that will really make your head spin. You can actually drop your own pairwise ranking by beating an opponent. For example, your team has a flawless record against an opponent on the TUC cliff. In the last game of the season series against that team you knock them from 25th in RPI to 26th or lower. Your

pairwise comparison against that team is now removed and your overall rating drops because of it. Losing or tieing would have kept that comparison alive, resulting in a better pariwise. Kind of a crazy scenario but it can happen.

This is why I am a fan of the KRACH system, its pure math, no TUC cliff or other comparisons that may or may not matter in the big picture. Its based more on wins/losses/strength of schedule. Every time you win it helps you, every time you lose it hurts you.

Back to a full WCHA schedule this weekend.

1) Colorado College at Mich Tech: I'm going split

2) Denver at Minn Duluth: 3 points for Bulldogs

3) Wisconsin at Alaksa Anch: sweep for Badgers

4) Minnesota at Mankato: 3 points for Gophers

5) Saint Cloud at North Dakota: sweep for Sioux

6) Nebraska Omaha at Bemidji: sweep for Mav's

Right now its hard to tell if the Gophers may be coming back or just teasing us, for now I will assume its nothing but a tease. I'm still trying to figure out how you get embarrassed by Mich State and then whoop Michigan.

I'm still trying to figure out how you get embarrassed by Mich State and then whoop Michigan.

Maybe they're color blind and can't distinguish between green and gold?

Goaltending is a better answer, but the guy who was a rock was the one who laid an egg.

I've really softened over the years and I will cheer for the Gophers too. With the exception of one or two weekends a year. This is one of them. I'll be at the Saturday game with my wife (she has not softened her stance on the other maroon and gold team). Go Dogs!

Scoring goals has not been an issue for either team this year. Gophers need need some more consistent goaltending. Special team play has been pretty poor. Duluth also needs the goalies to step it up a little and REALLY needs to stop their clock watching late in the 3rd. It's been killer. Luckily they keep rolling in OT, last Friday being the exception.

Duluth v UMtc = sweep for Dogs

MTU at UNO = sweep for those Red Mav's

Bemidji at Wis = split

CC at SCSU = split

Denver at AA = 3 points Pioneers

UND at MSU = 3 points Sioux

I predict the dogs will get the only sweep for this week. I have UND getting a split against Mankato. Mankato has a hot goaltender and the Sioux are loaded with injuries and illnesses. They have four players bang up pretty bad with two sitting for awhile with upper body injuries(Bret Hexstal and Jason Gregorie).

I predict the dogs will get the only sweep for this week. I have UND getting a split against Mankato. Mankato has a hot goaltender and the Sioux are loaded with injuries and illnesses. They have four players bang up pretty bad with two sitting for awhile with upper body injuries(Bret Hexstal and Jason Gregorie).

Sounds like a good time for an upset sweep of the Sioux.

In my opinion I think that UND would be happy with a split this weekend. I think UND wins Friday. Saturday they will put Brad Eidness in net. So Bear atleast you won't get your hopes up all weekend.

Convincing win for UNO last night. We can't seem to get much separation between the top 4 teams. Very, very tight race so far. If you get swept one weekend, you get left behind. All the more important to finish 1 or 2. Third seed now has to play on the Thursday play-in game vs the #6 seed.

Then another tight grouping from 5-11. Wide open for any of those teams to get the last 2 home ice spots come March should the top 4 remain there.