• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Windshield

forcedtowork

Those of you that have windshields on your machine, how do you like them, do they make that big of a difference? I have an 2000 AC without one, and after this weekend of eating dust, bugs, and having rocks fly up at me I am thinking of getting one. Any suggestions on a brand. I would like it to be quick release.

The plus side is they'll help you with the issues you're currently facing.

The downside is going over obstacles/maneuvering. You run the risk of the windshield interfering with using more body english in certain situations. I've seen many people trying to get over logs or some other obstacle who've taken their windshield in the throat.

I have one on my cat and love it. I don't use it too much for trail riding, unless, it is really, really dry. I bought mine for ice fishing, and yes, it makes a huge difference for keeping wind out of your face, so it would work in your situation also. I just got the arctic cat quick release and couldn't be happier with it!!

and after this weekend of eating dust, bugs, and having rocks fly up at me I am thinking of getting one.

just curious if you wear a helmet when you ride? I wear a helmet and goggles and never have a problem with your issues above?

I have to agree with LEP7MM's comment, all a windshield is gonna do is get in the way more than its needed. Then you add mud and roost from other quads etc then you have to keep it clean. Winter time you will deal with slush and snow flying up on it from other quads as well.

I am not an advicate of not wearing a helmet by any means, but I don't wear a helmet. I have snowmobile helmets with face shields, or I have ski goggles, the problem is the snowmobile helmets are way to hot, plus I have to wear my glasses for everyone else's safety. Ski goggles don't go over glasses either. Helemts also do not work well with glasses in my opinion. I can't wear contacts due to allergens in the air, so glasses are my only option. I don't want to spend the money if it is not going to add much value (not resale but operational function). Thanks for the input, I will consider it more after another trip this weekend. I will be using it this fall helping my dad with cutting wood and more this winter on the ice. I worry that the windshield will get brittle in the cold. I would opt for the quick release type.

We own a quick release for the Polaris and since we normally always wear helmets, I have ocassionally mudded without one, a windshield is not needed.

We use it mainly for the colder temp days for the wife on her machine or I will put it on mine when ice fishing. Otherwise it is normally in the garage.

I would vote for a nice helmet and eye protection.

Love my windsheild. I bought it for the cold winter months and haven't taken it off once. I thought it would be less fun and get in the way for trail riding but it hasen't yet. Mine mounts lower so its not even in your face, it actually sits lower then my head. The angle and design of the windshield reflects the wind/dirt/dust straight up or around me. I think its a cobra and they make them custom to your ATV. It also has quick release and one of the best rated I've seen on the internet. I think there made for trailering too....

I always wear a helmet and eye protection when I am riding, but I must say during the colder weather hunting and ice fishing months I love throwing my windshield on for the extra wind and weather protection. I have the polaris quick release model and it only takes 1-2 minutes to toss it on, in the warm weather months it spends most of it's time on the shelf in the garage but it makes a world of difference when riding in some cold rain in late October or puling the otter across Big Winnie in January. It is by no means required gear but it sure feels nice to tuck behind it when you are cruising across the lake ice fishing.

I was reluctant to get a windshield but was given one as a gift - now I wouldn't be without one. In fact, the first accessory I bought when I got my new ATV last January was a windshield. Much more comfortable riding with one and I have never had it interfere with my riding.

For a hundred bucks or less its worth its weight in gold . I still wear safety/ sunglasses plus a helmet without visor . The shield saves me from more than the other two combined because it takes the first hit . The wind or cold air is just one . Stones ,dust and BRANCHES really irk me . LOL or can do damage forever .

TD

I have a wind shield on mine for the last 8 years. I took it off at fist in the summer but now it stays on year around. I also got one with mirrors on and I just got use to using the mirror to see if people are still behind me. The mirrors get abused alot going on trails or plowing the drive way next to the brush but I have had mo problem with them. During the winter it keeps the cold wind off your face and hands. It also trailers fine. I even had to pull it backwords once and was surprised I could still go 55 with it.

After this weekends trip, I will be purchasing a windshield. It will help keep the wind, dust, dirt and bugs off of anyone. I rode in the woods (State Forest) all weekend and I never would have had an issue with the windshield getting in the way. I rode a machine with a windshield for a few miles to see the difference, and it is definately worth the money. My fiance also went along on the trip, and now she is hooked. She either wants her own, or a true 2 up.