• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

trickle charge batteries for winter lay up??

Ufatz

Getting two big batteries out of my boat is getting to be too much for my beat up and arthritic hands. I want to leave them in boat and just plug in trickle charger of some sort to keep them from freezing up. Two deep cycles to run 85 lb.thrust Minnkota. I can get starting motor out fine.

So many chargers on market I can't figure out what to do next??!! This small boat maintenance stuff is sorta new to me. Gimme a big 3208 Cat any day. Ha!!

Thanks.

Ufatz - Where in central MN do you live? First thought is maybe someone from HSO can give you a hand so to speak. Trickle charging the batteries over the winter will work - just make sure they are doing their job. I would seriously consider inversting in a good quality portable charger (Minn-kota, etc) the big "C" store or GM has a decent selection. Just get one that indicates battery status not just whether or not its on.

full-20734-765-minn_kota_1822110_marine_

One other thing you didn't ask - but if your trolling motor has Auto Pilot it HAS to come out (you should not let that freeze). If it freezes new compass boards are not cheap. If anything else, let us know. Good Luck, Paul

When leaving a battery charger connected to the batteries, make certain the charger you use has an automatic shut-off. If it doesn't, you stand the risk of over-charging and doing more damage.

In reality it is not necessary to have a charger connected 24/7. A fully charged battery will not freeze in MN and it is actually better for the battery to store them in the cold (as long as you maintain a full charge).

I just put a charger on mine about once a month throughout the winter months to make sure they are up to charge. This way I never have to hassle with removing the batteries over winter.

I see someone said that you have to take an auto-pilot tolling motor off the boat in winter time to keep from freezing, I have one and I went through the owners manual and I can not find anything about freezing. Anyone else know anything about this? Do not need to be buying a new board!!!

One other thing you didn't ask - but if your trolling motor has Auto Pilot it HAS to come out (you should not let that freeze). If it freezes new compass boards are not cheap. If anything else, let us know. Good Luck, Paul

I know several people and I myself have owned an autopilot and always stored it outside in the winter (either in a garage or out under a tarp) and never had an issue that was related to the cold. I'm not saying it's a bad idea to keep it warm, just don't really see it necessary, and most trolling motors are hard mounted and don't have a quick release on them. I've found they are alot more susceptible to shock and vibration than anything. The one time I had to replace the compass board on mine was after I hit a big wave while cruising and the head slammed against the gunwale, after that everything else worked fine just the autopilot was screwy.

Okay you guys. Thanks. Batts stay on boat and charger flipped ON once a month. Batts fully charged at lay-up. And you helped me make a point with my fishing pal: that a fully charged healthy battery will not freeze unless left outside in Fairbanks for all of January!!

And, although I know its a sin, I don't always pull my plugs, squirt the oil and do all that other "fondling" either. We used to have some 10HP motors that went in the plane, in the boat, in the truck and in the garage in the winter then back out and at it in the spring. Every couple years we might swap plugs and check lower unit etc. I know it's heresy, but just telling it like it is. Was.

About storing the AutoPilots inside. Yes for the newer ones. The first one I bought in 1995 stayed in the garage during the winter on a shelf for 10 years. Never had a problem with the board. For my newer one, now just over 3 years old, for the first winter I did the same thing and the AutoPilot went out. The repair guy said, they changed the fluid in the small vial on the board to a thinner weight oil and they now can freeze and break. The last two winters it has been stored in the basement. No problems.