• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

ATV tracks

threeway

I know that this subject has been beat to death but, I'm excited to have some on order. The wife has talked me into getting some to get back into the swamp area that I hunt for deer. With this higher water I wont be able to get back there with my tires. So my questions are: Does anybody use them in swamps? How much snow with they actually go through? Are they worth the money? I just hope that I'm satified with them. They are the Polaris brand, Protractor series. Are they good ones? I'm still hesitant on these, but anxious to try them.

Thanks

We have a set on the Ranger that we have here at work. Used it last year to take my wheel house off the lake because the lake was flooded. There was water under the snow out on the lake. I drove the Ranger out on the lake and was thinking that the slush and water must have refroze. When I got to the fish house and stepped out of the Ranger I was staning in water up past my ankles and the Ranger with the tracks was sitting on top of the snow. Haven't had any experience with a swamp, but I would think that from my experience they will keep you on top of most snow instead of going through it.

Careful when you say swamps and be sure to read the regs regarding riding in wetlands to make sure you're legal.

As far as riding in either snow or swamps, there is a ton of videos out there that you can see most any brands of track in action. Snow shouldn't be much of a problem. Like eyehunter said, you'll stay on top of snow with the tracks.

I know about swamps, I should have said the lowland we have for deer hunting. Our trails are flooded, severely! Not worried about walking in, but dragging a deer out would kill a guy!

I would imagine it would float over everything just like if you were in snow? But, if you get stuck, I would imagine you are stuck and stuck good!

When you pulled the fish house behind in the slush, did the Ranger pull it easy?

When it comes to tracks just make sure the tracks you buy are rated for year round use.

I had some winter only ones and was not happy with them.

They showed excessive wear on when used on ice and hardpack snow.

If the sprocket comes though the track stay away from them unless you are on snow 100% of the time.

I have the 4 season ones now and love them but I only use them in the winter.

I would imagine it would float over everything just like if you were in snow?

I don't know anything about tracks, but I can't imagine they will float at all, will they? They look like they will keep you on top of snow, but not water. Correct?

There is a product made in SD called J-Wheelz, and I think it may be what your looking for. Look them up, watch there videos, I think you will like what you see. They are amazing in mud and in snow and slop. The price is right too. A complete set will run $590...and that is far cheaper than Tracks will run you.

I've wondered about those JWheelz, too. They seem to be almost too cheap and too simple to work! I'd like to see how they would handle some snow, as the guy I had talked too didn't know how they would perform. I know they had a booth at the ice fishing show in St Paul last year, so I'd assume they are marketing it for year round use, and I remember him saying that they can be left on for all types of ground because they taper up so they never touch a road, just loose material. They do make your rig WIIIIIIDE, though!

I think "float" is being used like it would be able to skim over the top of loose material. Tracks add weight but have no extra bouancy whatsover.

I have researched these, but it just seems like everyone I have talked about they are not that great in deep snow. Especially if you want to pull a fish house or anything behind the wheeler. BUT, I wish I could talk to someone that has personally used them and can give some great detail on them. Just to good to be true for $600. If they are that good, why dont you see them out on the lakes during winter time around here?

If you can afford the independent tracks I would go with those but if you can't for the money (you can find them cheep on the internet auction and/or list sites) these tru tracks are some of the best performing tracks I have seen.

No loss of top end and if you want to you can put skis on the front and drive on the snowmobile trails (with the proper stickers etc)

f-title.jpg

i would get the tracks. i have the polaris 850 with power steering and prospector tracks. its gives the machine so much more options. and alot more stability and comfort to riding. the wider stance really helps out alot. So many things u were never able to do in the winter and now u can. I do not use my all season tracks in the mud but only for in the winter time.just preference on my part. And for use on snowmobile trails it is illegal just for everyone to know. i have a $165 ticket to prove it. whether or not it has tracks it is still considered a atv

Crappiekiller, did you re-clutch your 850? I have the 500 HO and I'm thinking about it. Dont know if I need too or not? Polaris is suppose too get back to me on that. I have the money for the tracks, not the problem. I just want the machine to do everything I expect it to do with the tracks, for the money. I need it to pull a fish house, within reason. I understand if there is a lot of slush when pulling there is going to be problems etc... But also be able to ANYWHERE I wish not hauling a load on the lake. Deep snow, slush, just like a snowmobile, but slower. Also, be able to crawl through the wet swamp this year. Places that I have already buried my four wheeler, now I need it to walk right over things. Basically like you said I want to be surprised how it makes my 4-wheeler more seasonal. Rather than I have to put it in the garage after we get more than 8 inches of snow on the lake and it becomes useless.

some 500 are just fine with the tracks. the track system is actual a gear reduction system so power should not be a issue. i have seen some ppl have them on a 300 polaris before. might not get anywhere fast but he was pulling a fish house with skis on the wheels through foot or so of snow with ease. i did not have to reclutch anything. when i thought i was giving her spedometer said 96 on wheeler while gps said only 54

...when i thought i was giving her spedometer said 96 on wheeler while gps said only 54

Surely you must mean kilos/hr, and not miles/hr. 60 mph on speedo, and about 34 mph on GPS.

(No, I mean mph, and don't call me Shirley.)

(Sorry)

no modifications done at all. with it been a reduction system its all the easier for the motor to give more then it is with wheels.take for instance wheel verses track speeds at top speed. in low with wheels 32mph and then with tracks in low 43. in high its around 82 usually with wheels and then 96 with tracks. but anyways back to the subject. There is a couple of choices for you to hsve on a 500 snd also when u order state that u only have a 500. most companys have 3 different main drive sprockets to offer for you to get the most out of your atv size.

i would enjoy showing anyone what the tracks has to offer them. this year my tracked atv will be plowing snow with a modified glacier 2 plow system. had to extend the mount 18 inches to clear for tracks. and also the new log sleigh i built for cutting wood for the maple syrup run in spring. Not to leave out the fish house with skis that mount on to the wheels. laast year trying to pull fish house through that snow we had was horrible. so with the skis and now plow option should be alot easier

There is no stock machine sold on the market today that will do 90 mph. Similar to the "gentleman's rule" for street bikes (mfgr limited to 186 mph), most ATVs are set to top out at 72-74 mph. There may be a few exceptions, but 90 mph is not going to happen on a modern day stock ATV. Especially a utility with that high of a center of gravity.

Prior to Suzuki releasing Quadzilla (LT500R Quadracer) to the public, they took it to the salt flats to see what it would do in it's current state. This machine topped out at 110 mph so back to the drawing board it went to restrict it more and limit it to 80-85 mph. With the hard scrutiny towards the ATV industry, the manufacturers decided it best to limit the top end on all ATVs to 72-74 mph.

Who needs "fun factor"? All I need it to do is go throw a swamp at 2-4 mph, to get me to my deer stand. Then pull a fish house or portable at 5-10 mph across the lake. Then plow snow, which I only have a 100yd straight tared driveway. Now, are you telling me getting the tracks on this 500 was a mistake? The salesman, yes salesman, swore up and down my machine will be able to do this. He's been selling for over 20 years..... If so, I need to either sell them or return before use. I'm too old to go past 20 mph, let alone "90" on this machine...