• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Shorebirds and ships from Duluth.

All images made with a sonyA300, Sigma50/500mm, iso200-400, f9, various s/s, manual exposure, hand held, crops, adjustments to contrast and color on some,

USM. Comments and critiques welcome.

Least Sandpiper. If you take nothing else from this post, consider this bird.

This is a juvenile, less than six months old, on it's first migration. The bird's parents probably left it alone a few weeks ago. This bird will fly thousands of miles to it's southerly destination, having never made the trip before, and it's less than six months old!

leastcolor25.jpg

leastcolor33.jpg

Duluth hosted some "tall ships" recently. The first image is from Knife River, the second is from the Duluth area.

ship.jpg

roseway23.jpg

Last image features a lesser yellow legs.

greenwater2.jpg

Thanks much for the comments and views folks.

Ken, the shorebird images were made in the evening hours. The ship outside of Knife River had just shot one it's canons and the entire colony of herring gulls and double crested cormorants that nest on the island right off shore irrupted. Thousands of gulls swirling around the island with sorties of cormorants flying over past the ship to check things out. I believe every bird in the frame on that one is a cormorant.

Hwood, I would buy another 50/500, it is a nice lens, and while it probably won't ever last as long as a prime would (truth be told, I'm pretty hard on it), I would never want to be without the cropping as you shoot options that a zoom provides smile

Good to know. Although my lens fund is growing rather slow and will be sometime yet before I am ready, I have been looking. Your lens is one of interest and the 100-400L. I have used the L and although heavy I liked it except for the dust that gets in them and I read into the body. Not sure if you have these problems. Also wonder how fast is yours to focus with such a long stretch from 50 through 500.

150-500 is one I have thought about as well. I have used a 300 prime and for my needs (hobby) I feel the same way about the zoom.