• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New Utility Trailer

Sgt. Schlitz

Looking to get a utility type trailer. This will be a multi purpose trailer that will need to haul a Polaris Ranger XP. Also would use the trailer to haul dirt, grass, leaves, and other misc. items around. I am currently looking at a 7 x 14 foot model as the Ranger is 5 x 10. This would give the option to haul an additional 4 wheeler accross the front or haul gear on the trailer with the Ranger. Looking for opinions on Aluminum or steel and any other features that should be considered before the buy (sides, ramps, floor, etc). Thanks

I would definitely go with aluminum over steel. My dad has an Aluma to haul his Rhino and aside from the sides rattling every buck out of the county, it's been a great trailer. He did combat the rattling issue some by mounting some thick rubber belt pieces under the contact points between the sides and the trailer.

If you can store it indoors and will use it only in the summer, steel would an option (save yourself a few bucks). If it will sit outside or be used at all in the winter, spend the extra for aluminum. My 1st snowmobile trailer was steel, and after a few years it was more rust than steel. I have an Aluma 5 x 8 for my ATV and love it.

Thanks for all the advice. I will have to check the pricing and see what the difference is. Chances are most of the use will be in the summer and fall. Stored under a roof but not completely enclosed (hay shed). Aside from transporting the Ranger I will haul wood for the fire place and yard waste to the dump. Any issues between steel and aluminum in terms of pulling down the road?

Any trailer is going to "crack" if it's overloaded?

My point is aluminum fatigues and cracks, steel gives alot more and will take alot more abuse. Im not saying aluminum trailers are no good Im just saying steel fits my needs alot better.

Aluminum is a good option for light duty hauling. Like Dozer said, over time aluminum will fatigue and develop weak spots. It doesn't rust but can become brittle. Personally I have owned both a prefer steel because they can take much more abuse than an aluminum trailer. Also, with new powder coating and other options on steel trailers, they last a long long time with the proper maintenance. Just my opinion.