• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lac Courte Oreilles Information Please

We (my wife and I) are heading up to LCO next week (late summer). Having been a mountain fly fisherman for the past 40 years, I've been trying to read up on Walleye fishing (consequently learning what I did wrong when I was young!). I see most of the posts are fairly old, but consistent with what I've read (cabbage patches, early morning late evening, etc.). I've also been reading about the slip-bobber technique (interesting). We'll be staying on the lake (between Grindstone Creek and Frenchman's Bar, and will have a small boat (along with a portable depth finder / fish locater). Any suggestions or recommendations as to spots to try? (I've read some suggesting Ashland Point to Walleye Bar, some for the Ring Bars. But nothing toward where we'll be staying? Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

I haven't fished LCO, but I would look to wind swept points and gravel bars. Slip bobbers will work, but I wouldn't rule out tossing some crankbaits as well. There's a good chance you'll hook into some smallmouth as well that way. I don't think there will be too many eyes in the weeds this time of year. There will always be a few there, but I think it'll be mostly pike/bass hanging out near the weeds. I know it's tough with a small boat but during the summer I find it best to pick out a variety of spots and keep moving, especially if you aren't getting any bites during prime fishing conditions.

You'll be down there near Blue Goose bar, that might be worth a try. Also I think the water's high enough this year that you should be able to navigate over to Grindstone if the fishing is slow on LCO. If I were you and only spending a limited time on the lake, I look into hiring a guide for half a day. Either bait shop in town could recommend a good one for you.

in all reality you can get eyes anywhere on the lake. Bottom line Find weeds you'll more than likely find eyes, same goes for rock or gravel.Before going and setting my camper on a permanent site on the chip flowage I fished LCO every weekend. I found weeds and rocks the best and this time of year deep rock had been a awesome producer using slip bobbers and leech's. The area across the lake on the south shore from blue goose point and on up to the east has some good rock and gravel along the shoreline with a good break line . The is also a hump which comes up to about 5 ft in normal years off the north shore that has produced in the past. Thats about the best I can do.

Thank you all for your input. Found that the contour map (from Fishing Hot Spots) is not accurate, but have found a few rock bars and some weed patches. So far, I've caught a few small (not keepers) eyes - off of Kentucky Bar and Walleye Bar. Worked Striker today, with no luck. Thanks again.

I fished Grindstone last year on opener for bass and caught 4 nice eyes up in the shallow rocks. The conditions were different as the water was 42 degrees on opening morning but I would imagine the eyes would still be nearby the shallower gravel/rocky points.