• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

is $750 too much to pay for a mi 80's 15 hp evinrude?

mrpike1973

we currently have '75 johnson 9.9 & is getting a stripped lower unit oil screw. we have already put $400 into it to rebuild the lower unit. & am afraid it will strip out. Would this be too much to pay for this newer motor & what would you think the current motor would be worth? the current motor runs good but we don't know long it will last. should we fix or no?

i believe it can be tapped out however there was a previous posting of someone in the same situation. it sounded like it can be drilled and tapped but i would have to remove the lower unit and have it rebuilt to get rid of the shavings. i really cant afford to put more money in it if it needs a lower unit i found this moter i think its to much i'm at the crossroads of either selling the boat and going without or spend all my savings on a moter thanks for your help

Four years ago I bought a '79 Evinrude 35hp for $750 that ran great for many years. In my opinion, once you get into 25-40 year old motors, it's the horsepower that matters since the machine has already lasted the test of time. $750 seems a bit much for only 15hp. This should be a buyers' market.

I grew up using a mid 80's evenrude 15hp motor, that thing was none short of awesome. I think I would offer 500 bucks for it, then hopefully you'll be able to agree around 600 bucks, that seems closer to the right price. This is assuming the motor is in perfect running condition, which the one i grew up with is, the darn thing still starts on the second pull just as it did when it was brand new, and most of the time it just sits in the shed. good luck that is a good motor in my opinion.

i believe it can be tapped out however there was a previous posting of someone in the same situation. it sounded like it can be drilled and tapped but i would have to remove the lower unit and have it rebuilt to get rid of the shavings. i really cant afford to put more money in it if it needs a lower unit i found this moter i think its to much i'm at the crossroads of either selling the boat and going without or spend all my savings on a moter thanks for your help
Wait, back up one minute here. You should be able to repair this.

There are several options available.

1. Auto parts stores have a plastic thread maker. It repairs your old threads. I think this would hold up fine in a situation like this.

2. Heli-coil. To avoid getting shavings in the gearcase, coat the drill bit and tap with grease. The grease will catch the shavings. This is a common practice. Auto repair shops do it ALL THE TIME on spark plug threads.

If you don't want to do this, I wold be a happy purchaser of you outboard.

sonic crunch and others thank you very much for your replies yes i'm going to get it fixed i went to a better honest mechanic said he could fix it for 30 bucks i dont have any tools i found out later the guy who told me i needed a knew case is known to do this stuff and thankfully i asked my fellow fmr's and they helped me out thank you!!!