• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Passengers?

Biggerfish

So is it illegal to have a passenger on class 1 ATV not designed for a passenger? The way I read this is it is a recommendation? I see them all the time?

ATV Passengers

The U.S. Consumer Product Safety commission recommends that you

DO NOT carry a passenger unless the ATV is specifically designed for

passengers. On a Class 1 straddle style ATV, the operator needs the

entire seat area to maintain stability and safe control. Please follow all

manufacturer’s recommendations and safety warnings.

• A person under the age of 18 may not carry a passenger.

• A person over the age of 18 may carry one passenger on a Class 1 ATV.

• A person over the age of 18 may carry a passenger, or up to the number of

passengers for which a Class 2 ATV was designed.

• A passenger under the age of 18 must wear an approved helmet and a seat belt

if provided by the manufacturer.

ATV

Probably the biggest danger with carrying passengers is the change in center of balance.

* The weight is distributed further back and can cause the machine tip backwards while climbing hills and there's no escape for the riders once it starts going over.

* With a rider on the back, the operator is less capable of shifting the load weight in a timely fashion while turning and this can easily result in a roll over. Again, once it starts there's little escape for the riders and in particular the passenger.

Correct. Was just asking what the laws are?

My case is I have two small children 6 and 8. I make them wear a helmet and sit them in front of me(one at a time ofcourse). I rarely go over 20 miles a hour and never hill climb or get crazy with them on with me. But I have been told (Not DNR) by some people that unless the machine is made for passengers they cannot ride with me legally? Many of them had a story to back it up?

By reading the Laws it is confusing exactly what they are saying? Was wondering how many of you may have had a similar story?

Thanks for the feedback.

In MN you are allowed to carry one passenger on a Class I ATV.

BobT was only providing a little extra safety info. Nothing wrong with that.

The laws used to state that you could not carry a passenger on a Class I ATV. That is no longer the case.

I agree with you spear.

I would like to buy another atv so the wife could ride along, but am at a crossroad. Do I buy a two seater as we all know it will be a matter of time before it changes back. I just cannot believe the premium they want for the two seaters? Would rather like to go with a standard ATV....

Again thanks to all of your feedback.

In MN you are allowed to carry one passenger on a Class I ATV.

BobT was only providing a little extra safety info. Nothing wrong with that.

The laws used to state that you could not carry a passenger on a Class I ATV. That is no longer the case.

I was told that they can now ride but that they need hand grips and foot rests? It is kind of odd how you can have Jet ski's that ride 2-3 people where they can bang their heads together on rough waves without a problem? confused

I have two four wheelers, each with a seat/box on the back. I carry either my 6 year old or 2 year old. The kids are small and don't change the weight dynamics of the machine - if they were adults it may be an issue, but a 20 or 50 pound kid won't. Get a seat for the back - it is a blast and safer than having them sit in front of you (where they can reach up and push the throttle).

As a kid, my dad taught me the law of monkey see monkey do.

Just like these kids, no helmets and double up on a class 1.

sad: Both under 15yo

Two juveniles injured in ATV accident

Two juvenile boys were injured in an ATV accident July 25. Itasca County Sheriff Pat Medure identified the victims XXXXXX.

The sheriff said the ATV was driven by XXXX when it left the roadway and struck a tree. The driver and his passenger were thrown from the ATV.

Both victims were transported to XXXX Hospital by the Ambulance and later airlifted to Duluth.