• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2009 Suzuki 50HP 4 Stroke

westrush

Well I bought a boat with a Suzuki Motor on it and It's been nothing but trouble . When driving across the lake it just shut's off . And After a while it starts up again . The dealer had it for a month And Said it goes into safe mode but they don't know whats wrong with it . So it's back to the dealer for who knows how long .I told them to change the motor with A merc But so far they won't Any ideas

westrush is the motor giving you any allarms or just shutting off? If it is simply shutting off it might me a problem with the emergency shut down switch. The only other thing I can think of and it happened to me on my suzuki DF70 while running accross the lake. As it turns out someone (me) forgot to pump the bulb to prime the fuel system. With the water seperator some dealers put on new boats they take more gas to prime.

No Alarms Can't beleave you have to prime it after it's been running for 2 hours before it shut's off They said it should show a code on the dash But there is no place for that on the dash . I do think it's fuel Troubles

I think the computer runs that THey did say that it goes into Safe mode

But don't now why . I would never buy A suzuki Motor ever Again .

Might just sell it All

I've had my 90 hp motor shut down once while it was running on the lake. The problem was air/vapor lock in the fuel line. I pumped the ball like crazy and had to crank it over for a long time before she started again. Use only premium non-oxygenated gas in your outboard. If your still having issues then take it to a dealer that knows suzuki motors inside and out. My fist pick would be frankies, because they have seen about every issue before. Suzuki's are awesome motors and your experience is the exception, not the norm. You would take a big loss in resale and re-rigging your boat if you decide to sell it. It would be a lot easier to take it to another dealer, since this could be a simple warranty issue.

I've only had my DF60 shut down on me once on a very hot day, I had to pump the bulb and she was good to go. I've read elsewhere that if you let the motor idle for a bit before and after a run that it minimizes this problem. I pretty much follow that procedure anyway, and I've only had it happen to me once in 5 yrs.

Otherwise it's been a great motor, this shut off problem is honestly the only common gripe I ever see on the net concerning Suzukis.

My 90hp Suzuki was losing gas pressure everyone once in a while last year. What I eventually figured out was that the bundle of hoses coming out of the motor was knocking against the fuel line where it meets the fitting to come through the boat hull from the tank. The fuel line kept getting hairline tears that would cause the motor to kill. I had my dealer fix it and it's been flawless since.

That's another thing you could check.

I dropped it back off at the Dealer They said it had Three revlimit code

But nothing else Might be from the first time I brought it back when it was grinding in reverse The prop was lose and the wrong pitch

But that was fixed and was great after .

Take it to a different dealer, Mamohr is right that it is a warranty issue. And another dealer might not be giving you the round and round that this one seems to be doing. Back in the early 90's I worked at a Suzuki shop and all the years that I worked there I only can recall one lemon of an engine, a 100hp V4 (still have nightmares about that darn engine). Sounds like to me that the computer is faulty, especially if you aren't popping any diagnostic trouble codes or they can't find any.

Another avenue you might want to explore is contact Suzuki america directly. they are (or were) in Des Plaines IL, a quaint suburb of Chicago.

give your dealers name and your story and I'm willing to bet your problem will be remedied very quickly. Especially since you are very unhappy w/ your service and motor.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Westrush you are being handed such a line of B%^^$^%%$. I just found this thread and sure HOPE you have called Suzuki by now. Suzuki makes great engines and while any manufacturer can have a lemon it sounds to me like you are really in the hands of a nit-wit dealership. Run as fast as you can away from that place!! Call Suzuki NOW!

Yes I called Suzuki And since they can't get it to do it they won't do anything

They say it's my on board charger three bank So when i run the trolling motor And then go to the big motor It is over heating the batterys

It's a croke so I'm picking up and going to disconect the charger and try it again then take it to halberg instead of Links

There is something about this situation that just doesn't add up. Who are you talking to at Suzuki? What the $%#$$ has the onboard charger go to do with the way the motor runs? Why have you simply not taken the motor to somebody who can repair it for you. This has been dragging on and on and all we hear is complaining about Suzuki. A whole country full of boat owners KNOW that Suzuki outboards are good dependable and quiet engines.

People have tried to help. I guess its up to you now.

I presume this is a new motor?

Can you get the problem to repeat itself, or is it a intermittent problem? If it's something you can get it to repeat offer to take the service tech on the lake so you're both there when it happens.

marine_man

Well Suzuki tech flew in and took the boat out On the lake It didn't do anything for them . So there going to replace the ecm relay to see if that helps

Everytime I go it shuts off .The last time the motor shut off And it started back up On it's own So that wasn't very good all most ended up in the lake.

I dropped it back off at the Dealer They said it had Three revlimit code

But nothing else Might be from the first time I brought it back when it was grinding in reverse The prop was lose and the wrong pitch

But that was fixed and was great after .

The rev limit code has to be the answer to your problem if the tech can't reproduce your problem in a tank. Suzuki motors have a rev limiter on them. What's your rpm when the motor is shutting down, or does it happen only when your accelerating (blow out)? If it's only happening at W.O.T. Then your prop is too small. I think this is an operator error type of issue. Did you ever take my advice and bring it to a different dealer? You can try out my prop if your in the alexandria area.

Well the Suzuki Tech went out on the lake with Me and the stupid Motor ran just fine . Go figure.

He did say it's a heat problum when the air and lake temp are hot this is what he thinks . But since it won't do it for them they well do nothing.

So I guess I well just keep fishing and hope it stay running .

And He did say the motor should be replaced but his boss says no