• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Must have crappie equipment....

Jim Uran

I also use 1/32 to 1/8 oz jigs of various colors, a 6-7' lite to ml rod, a good small reel spooled with 4 lb trileen, and for baits I always carry gulp alive minnows 2.5" and nymphs of many colors and a ziplock bag full of pre-rigged berkley tube jigs in many colors and in 1/32 and 1/16 oz weights......I also have with me small thill weighted slip bobbers but I hardley use bobbers after June......If I was forced to choose one set-up to hit the lake with it would probably be either a 1/32 jig with gulp alive or a 1/16 orange tube.....both are always rigged up on a pole in my boat!!

i am not embarrassed to say i really like pink jigs, 1/8th to 1/48th.....some sort of plastic, kalins crappie scrub early and now upsizing to a 2inch calcutta tail, both tennessee shad tri color......have not used a float once this year, started using mono to give more resistance to the drop. when the fall feedbag turns on, will start to use some minnows as well.

It depends on the aggressiveness of the fish... I like to try a lot of things chasing crappies and have had terrible to excellent success with each of these. Each day is different but usually one of these will help me connect with some papermouths.

Beetle Spins - several sizes/colors, but I like the gold blades over the silver.

Berkley Tube Kits - black/red or white/pink have done wonders usually just tied directly to the line and jigged over the side of the boat for suspended fish!

Northland Tackle Crappie Thumpers! - One of my favorites: blue/pink color when the fish are aggressive (at 2 for $3 there a little expensive but just a 2 pack in that color is worth the money!)

Cotton Cordell Rattle Traps (Smallest Size) - If you've never trolled for crappies, give them a shot and you can have an absolute blast!

Blakemore Raod Runners I like a red jig head with white twister tail and the round blade over the willow blade. I believe 1/4oz size. These have also taken a lot of walleyes for me!

Charlie Brewer Crappie Sliders for when there less aggressive these are a nice option with highly attracting blades and action! (Just started using them)

Berkley Power Nymphs these come in a yellow package and have lots of moving platic legs/antenneas etc. These can be deadly as well especially in water with crayfish populations.

MINNOWS Of Course!

I like 4lb test (6 lb to troll with) on anything from ultra lights to medium light action rods. I have a Berkley Amp UL that has great sensitivity for light bites, and I use a Abu Garcia 100 rod/reel to jig and slow troll. Those two rods work great for all the panfish situations I deal with!

Won't go into the winter options cause its exhausting to list all the jigs I like for that now (maybe in the winter though!)

Great post!!

Mine was pretty vague as far as the details, when it comes down to it I do prefer tying on a Lindy Little Nipper or a Lindy Frostee tipped with a crappie minnow under a float.

If I'm casting in the weeds I love a Lindy Max Gap tipped with some sort of plastic. That extra hook gap does get a few more weeds but it seems to catch them farther in the mouth away from them fragile lips. Tipping with plastic ensures that I won't have to rebait everytime I have to rip it through the weeds. I always keep a tube of super glue in my box, and add a dab to keep the plastic from sliding down the hook shank.

I forgot about another lure, the Northland Thump n Grub. That little sucker has pounded the crappies and big gills over the last few years. The little spinner blade underneath the jig works great. There are more that will pop in my head over the next week

Like mr jman said, ice fishing is a whole new can of worms.... I can't wait!!!

I would agreed with everyone here. Here is my

Quote:
Must have crappie equipment

-1/32 to 1/8 jig heads; mostly white

-Flu flu

-Road runner

-Plastic; twisty tail, tiny worm, tubes

-Beetle spin

-Spinnerbait

-Gulp; fry

-Hooks, bobbers, 2-6lbs test line

-Handy net; for those papermouth slab

A long pole of 8'6" for bombing bobbers very long distances.

In addition to lures that others have suggested, I'll also go with:

Cranks: Salmo Hornets, Owner Mira Shad, Yozuri Bassarms Shad

Spoons: Kastmaster, Daredevle,

Inline Spinners: Roostertails, Mepps Aglias, Bluefox Strobes

9 ft soft action rod with a fast tip

4000 series pfluger arbor reel

Thats right... a 4000 rigged with 4lb berkley mono. With a 16 oz pink jig head/tube/gulp twister, and two big splitshot, and a big bobber I can cast 75yds easy. Now mind you.. I cant see my bobber any more, but I can feel the hits because I'm jigging it. Over kill maybe.. Catch more than my buddies? YUP!