• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Eastern Kingbird (comments?), piping plover, cape may warbler.

Which of the two Eastern Kingbird images do you prefer and why? or maybe you do not see an appreciable difference? All images made this spring at Minnesota Point in Duluth, MN. All images made with a SonyA300, Sigma50/500,

iso400, various f-stops, various shutter speeds, fill flash on every image, crops, (cloning on the second eastern kingbird image, is obvious where, when comparing the two shots), USM.

Critiques always welcome.

Regards,

Shawn Zierman.

kingleaf3.jpg

kingleaf23.jpg

pipingplover.jpg

capemay.jpg

Honestly, while I saw the difference right away, Shawn, it's a photographer thing. The bird itself, the light, the pose, all rivet the non-photographer eye on the subject, and the branches you removed (quite effectively, BTW,) are likely no noticeable distraction to people who love birds and bird images but aren't as nitpicky as photographers are.

The other images are definitely typical of your good stuff as well. Excellent work! 2thumbs.gif

You did a nice job on the sticks. #2 does look better with them gone but I would not have thought a thing about them if not mentioned. Other than that I cant tell if some of shine on the leaves is less on #2 or I am just looking for stuff thats not really there.

Nice work, Shawn. I immediately picked out those branches and you did a good job cloning them out. I would also clone out the green stem in the plover image and the stick to the right of the warbler as I think it distracts a little from the subjects.

Steve, in the two forums that I posted this series, I find that I have a kindred spirit with your response. I am becomming increasingly annoyed with the desire to "perfect" the natural world, but find that I am all to easily convinced that it is a good idea. Internal confliction to be continued....

Thankyou very much for the views and a special thanks to those who gave feedback.

Shawn,

All nice shots! I have to agree with Steve. Had you not cloned out those background branches, it's still a wonderful shot. The second one is marginally more pleasing, but only if you take a few real hard looks. The first shot is a keeper just the way you shot it!

Steve's comments are right on. I had to go back up and look at both pictures to even figure out which branches you removed. I liked the photo just fine in the first pic as it is what I was focusing on. A bird in a natural setting, all I really look at is the bird.