• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Treestands

Just getting in to bow hunting and I was wondering if there are recommendations for treestand that have LARGE platforms. I have been looking at the River's Edge Bigfoot XLT so any reviews on it would be great.

Thanks to all in advance.

Rhino,

Two questions: 1) are you likely to hunt in one place/area or will you be able to move around a lot?, 2) do you plan to put your stand up and take it down every time you hunt?, 3) how far are you likely to be carrying your stand in and out?, 4) what's your name (I'm originally from Fisher)?

Give us a little more info and we might be better able to recommend a stand type or brand.

+1 on the rivers edge. The only thing i have had to do is rub some vasaline on the bottom of the platform where it rubs on the tree it gets kinda squiky in the zero degree weather. Also the plat form is nice and big ,but I have noticed a lot of stands recently have the mesh on the platform which is terrible when mud or dirt falls through on those really quit eve.

Just getting in to bow hunting and I was wondering if there are recommendations for treestand that have LARGE platforms. I have been looking at the River's Edge Bigfoot XLT so any reviews on it would be great.

Thanks to all in advance.

One of the things I did with my two ladderstands to give me more room to stand on is went to Man-ads and got two treated 1/4" handy planels and cut them a few inchs longer in the front and about 10" in the back then the stand foot area and bolted them on with small flat head S/steel bolts. It added about a good foot more room to stand on and feels a lot safer footing wise! wink

I have numerous stands and yes, the Rivers Edge does have a big platform.

The size of the platform really does not make that much of a difference to me. Maybe I am simply use to hanging in the tree and moving around.

Do yourself and your family a favor and make sure you wear a safety harness in case you do fall.

Beats having a broken neck or back if one does drop out of the stand. The newer ones are pretty nice and comfortable.

Do yourself and your family a favor and make sure you wear a safety harness in case you do fall.

Beats having a broken neck or back if one does drop out of the stand. The newer ones are pretty nice and comfortable.

Regardless of the stand you choose, the above info is great advice. I figured I'd never fall out of a stand and so did most of my family. In the days before wearing a safety harness was commonly done, my bro-in-law broke his collar bone, my cousin tore his achilles tendon, and I broke a bone in my foot- all from falling out of trees/tree stands.

I should probably be looking at a couple different types of stands. I was looking at the Rivers Edge Bigfoot XLT to have in a set location to hunt when wind and conditions cooperate. I will also be looking for some sort of portable stand that I will be able to pack in and out of areas. Biggest thing I am looking for is a comfortable stand with a large platform since I am 6'5 and need some space to move around adn don't want to sit with my knees under my chin all day.

Also- The Hunter Safety System was the 2nd thing I bought right after the bow. Good to hear everyone else is recommending them and hunting safe.

Rivers edge stands are very surdy stands for the money. I have several of their stands, 2 ladder stands, 2 light foots, and 2 climing gators and am happy with them. As far as the type of stand to get it all depends on how you hunt and where you hunt. Climbers are great if you move alot and have straight trees.

The bigfoot XL is a good stand for the money. The seat is a bit hard but I always bring another cushion anyway. The footrest is a must in my opinion. It allows you to change the position of your legs which shifts how you are sitting on your rear end which makes longer sits more comfortable. It's a bit heavy, so I prefer to leave this one up.

I have a Gorilla silverback XL or something like that. It's the lightweight aluminum model not the steel model. I use that as my packing stand as it only weights 11 or 12 pounds. Gorilla changed the models up last year or so and I'm not a huge fan of the teardrop platform shape. The older ones had the same shape as the bigfoot.

Anyway, my point is, the bigfoot is a good stand but heavy! Not that fun to put up every sit. If you will be packing in and out each day I'd look for something a little more light weight. It's not carrying it through the woods that can be such a pain, it's hanging a stand quietly. Those extra pounds really count when hanging a stand quietly.

I've used stands similar to the bigfoot. Worked fine, but I really prefer ladder stands. Feel a lot safer (even though I wear a harness). I'm in the process of replacing all of my chain on stands over to ladder stand. I especially like the 2 person ladder stands, a lot more room if your shooting to the sides or behind. The bigger seat also helps keep the butt from getting sore. I'm also not so worried if I'm dosing off a little bit. With the chain on stands if i'm getting heavy lids I'm getting down pretty quickly, not much margin for error up there.

What I would reccommend too is buying one of those lifelines as well. You want to be connected to the tree the entire time you are climbing up and down it in addition to when you are in the stand. I think it's a HSS brand, but I bought one last year and love it. Some people balk at the $30 or $40 it costs but I only have a couple of stands I leave up all year in addition to my numerous blinds. I'd rather spend $120 for one on each of my three stands and not fall and be paralyzed or dead. Conversely, you could make your own as well with quality rope and prussic knots.

The climbing tree I like the best of all I own is the Lone WolF. One can climb up and down and sit and stand up in it with NO noise.

N0 bending, flexing, squeaking or anything. Darn comfy also.

Yes, they do cost a bit more but in my eyes are well worth the extra.

To me, that is worth a ton.

Scoot-

My last name is Kill. I moved to Fisher around 5 years ago. My wife is related to the Morken's and Bieswinger's if you know any of those crews. Do you still have family in town?

Sure I know the Morkens and a ton of Beiswengers (I graduated HS with Tim). My parents (Rod and Teri Engel) still live in town- my dad's the legion commander and makes custom made fishing rods. I've also got a couple sisters around there too.

Do you know what woods you'll be huntingin in that area. Many years ago, I was allowed to hunt virtually all of it. Over time it got tougher and tougher to get on land- 1) my dad's buddies started retiring and their kids didn't let people bowhunt like thier dads did, 2) many have been treated poorly by someone they let hunt there land, and 3) people around there are generally just getting tighter with land, I think. But, if you know where you're headed, I may be able to point you in the right direction.

Harvey, I sure do like the looks of those LW climbers. There's definitely some sticker shock though! I've heard you say nothing but good things about them and it'd be tempting to get one at some point.

Interesting to hear that I'm not the only one that likes the comfort and safety of the ladder stands. Maybe getting older does make us a little more cautious and a little wiser. Glad to hear that wearing a safety harness is "cool." I don't know how anyone would bow hunt without one.

Interesting to hear that I'm not the only one that likes the comfort and safety of the ladder stands. Maybe getting older does make us a little more cautious and a little wiser. Glad to hear that wearing a safety harness is "cool." I don't know how anyone would bow hunt without one.

The ladder stands are very nice and comfy. I typically move so much that a alum climbers works better for me.