• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

dog pee and grass

Train them to go in an area that is not grass (woodchips, weeds, woods, etc...). Water heavily and apply gypsum to the yellow spots. It may or may hot help depending on the severity of the damage.

My dog goes all over in my yard and i'm being completely honest when i say i have NO DEAD SPOTS! If anything i have small patches of taller grass!! Any idea why this would be??

Allegedly its the females that create the dead grass. The males just make it grow faster.

Numberous theories out there, but the obvious one is that the females concentrate their "output" in one area, where as the males spread it around more.

I have 2 shorthairs, 1 that is cut, and the other isnt. I have tried all the remedies and searched and searched for a cure. It doesnt seem to make a difference, as others mentioned I just deal with it.

Train them to go in an area that is not grass (woodchips, weeds, woods, etc...).

That there is the key. Lots of ideas out there, but the fact is dog pee is basically fertilizer (lots of nitrogen). Little bit = green. Too much = burnt out grass. We've got a wood-chipped area we make him pee in.

For me, the small pees = green grass, the large ones makes yellow. My dog is trained to go in the woodchips. If she is on the yard leash and has to go, I will get a couple of dead spots. I just scratch it up, pull out the dead grass. Soak it. Throw on some seed and dirt and I am good in a couple of weeks. Obviously this works best when there is only a few small spots.

I also tried grass seed called salty dog, and it seemed to work.

Allegedly its the females that create the dead grass. The males just make it grow faster.

Numberous theories out there, but the obvious one is that the females concentrate their "output" in one area, where as the males spread it around more.

My male Lab has made plenty of dead grass in his day, so I don't hold much water in the female theory. I think it has more to do with volume!!!

My male Lab has made plenty of dead grass in his day, so I don't hold much water in the female theory. I think it has more to do with volume!!!

Your male must be a steady aim wink

I thought the kill actually had to do with the salt/soduim in the urine...the bigger the puddle the more concentrated for the kill.

Your male must be a steady aim wink

I thought the kill actually had to do with the salt/soduim in the urine...the bigger the puddle the more concentrated for the kill.

Just a big bladder!! smile

We bought some dog treats at that "Smart Pet" store that keeps the dog pee from killing the grass. It's been working in my yard.

I'm surprised that works. I figured these were made by the same company that sells the fuel line magnets that are supposed to increase your mileage.

I'm surprised that works. I figured these were made by the same company that sells the fuel line magnets that are supposed to increase your mileage.

I have a hunch that is just makes the dog drink more water, so the urine is more dilute.

I haven't noticed that she's drinking more water. The package says she should get two treats per day but I'm giving her one every other day and that seems to be working. BTW, How did you know I have magnets on my gas lines (LOL)?