• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rain Is A Good Thing

zamboni

Yeah we gotta station down here out of St James that plays mostly new stuff, but about the 4th or 5th song you might hear some Statler Bros. or other older stuff- thats the good stuff

Mainstream "country" music coming out of Nashville is a joke. Luckily real country music exists out there but a person just has to look beyond radio to find it. Texas/Red Dirt music is where it is at. If you want real country check out Jason Boland and the Stragglers, Dale Watson, Turnpike Troubadours, Jackson Taylor, Randy Rogers Band, Stoney LaRue, Aaron Watson, Roger Creager and Robert Earl Keen to name a few. All write and perform their own music, tour nationally but are "too country" for corporate radio. Every one of these bands I listed have played here in Minnesota and put on killer live shows. Texas music has a very loyal following due to satellite and internet radio stations. Ryan Bingham who wrote the theme song for Crazy Heart is awesome and is part of the Texas/Red Dirt scene. Just because a song is played every five minutes on the radio doesn't mean its good. I know it was mentioned on this site before but there is a show on BOB 106 Sunday nights that features Texas music and non-mainstream country. Its a good break from the watered down pop.

Current recipe for a hit country song includes the following:

1. First and foremost, it is imperative to make sure the audience knows just how "country" you really are, this cannot be implied but rather stated repeatedly over and over again

2. Getting up early and working hard in your blue collar job Monday through Friday, be sure to mention the fact that you earn every dime that you receive

3. Drinking beer on Friday nights

4. Working on your truck on Saturday (beer optional here but allows you to mention a hangover for #4), truck should have a gun rack installed

5. Going to church on Sunday and the watching a ball game, racing event or go fishing

6. Should have one or more close relatives in the military serving overseas

7. Have a good dog and/or a good woman

8. Make sure to mention how much you love America, multiple times if possible

9. Mention of chewing tobacco or Skoal rings optional but do try to include a reference to grilled or fried food

10. At some point during your week you must have cause to drive your truck down a muddy or dirt road but it's okay because of the large tires you have on your vehicle

OR

If the above mentioned criteria cannot be met then simply march up on stage either three ugly overweight guys or one Austrailian with a bad haircut. Then proceed to have them sing like little girls about love and rainbows and unicorns.

Now THAT is funny. I am a big country music fan...but not the [PoorWordUsage] they play here locally. These performers are just puppets. Did you happen to catch this [PoorWordUsage] on Celebrity Apprentice. Even in spite of a terrible song, his picture is featured on an I Tunes commercial as well. How much did the producers pay for him to be featured in each?

I'll take Waylon, Willie, Merle, Alabama, George Strait, Bocephus, Ronnie Milsap and Johnny Cash. For newer artists, gimme Garth, Toby Keith, Brooks & Dunn, Marty Stuart and Dwight Yokam.

I agree, "new" country is pop music with a little hint of twang - or Twain.

Current recipe for a hit country song includes the following:

1. First and foremost, it is imperative to make sure the audience knows just how "country" you really are, this cannot be implied but rather stated repeatedly over and over again

2. Getting up early and working hard in your blue collar job Monday through Friday, be sure to mention the fact that you earn every dime that you receive

3. Drinking beer on Friday nights

4. Working on your truck on Saturday (beer optional here but allows you to mention a hangover for #4), truck should have a gun rack installed

5. Going to church on Sunday and the watching a ball game, racing event or go fishing

6. Should have one or more close relatives in the military serving overseas

7. Have a good dog and/or a good woman

8. Make sure to mention how much you love America, multiple times if possible

9. Mention of chewing tobacco or Skoal rings optional but do try to include a reference to grilled or fried food

10. At some point during your week you must have cause to drive your truck down a muddy or dirt road but it's okay because of the large tires you have on your vehicle

OR

If the above mentioned criteria cannot be met then simply march up on stage either three ugly overweight guys or one Austrailian with a bad haircut. Then proceed to have them sing like little girls about love and rainbows and unicorns.

Only if a song mentions momma, trains, trucks, prison, or getting drunk, is it the perfect country western song. smile

is it just me or is there a complaint every ten years about how pop country is. When alabama came out some thought they were too pop.

Personaly I believe country is in the ear of the beer holder.

I prefer Georges, Chris Ledoux, Michael Murphy, and W&W.

PS someone please revoke that australian pretty boy's visa, and why did chris rock host the CMA Awards?

Good to see another Chris Ledoux fan here. He died way too soon. His live shows were one of the best I have seen. His band, Western Underground, still tours a bit. They are in MN at a rodeo in September. Ned LeDoux, his son is the drummer. Just not quite the same with out Chris fronting them. I agree that Keith Urban is an excellent guitar player but just not a fan of his songs. Cody Canada of the alt. country band Cross Canadian Ragweed will give any of the mainstream guitar players a run and then some. Very little difference between all these mainstream bands now. I also agree that every so often the complaint would rise up about country not being country anymore. That happens almost daily now though. Cliche filled songs made for the masses doesn't cut it.