• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Training Collar Question

sparetime

I am ready to pull the trigger and spend what to me is big money for a training collar. I've picked the model etc. I just have a dumb question before dropping the cash.

Based on experience, how important is the training collar in your training program? I trained my older dog without one, of course there were times that I would have loved to "shock" her to her knees, but overall it wasnt' that bad.

My current pup is doing well, comes when called, biddable,etc. Basically, I want to make sure the collar is a good all around expense, and not just the equipment manufacturer's saying that we "need" them.

I've just been tempermental lately about manufactured demand by equipment companies, making people think they need something. That said, I'm all for plunking down the cash for worthwhile products.

I dont use it for training so much, but more of a safety measure or a really really long invisible leash. I have never had the intent to bring my dog "to its knees" when simple nick sends the same message.

I very rarely need to nick them but when I need to its nice to have. For me hunting with pointers, the collars are more spefically used for paging, and locating dogs on point rather than a means of correction.

I sure didn't mean to imply that I was going to be harsh with the dog. Frustration is part of being a dog owner, and labs are sometimes hard headed.

Just wanted to clarify that. After re-reading my earlier post it may have sounded like I was looking for a punishment tool, in actuality I'm looking for a training tool, which of course isn't the same.

I train with a collar and wouldn't have a dog that wasn't a "collar" dog. ALOT of good dogs have been trained without a collar but I with the way that collars and collar programs have advanced in the last 25 years there really is no reason not to have a collar trained dog.

If I were you befor I put the cash down on a collar ( what collar did you decide on) I would spend the money on a really good collar conditioning DVD ( Lardy, Stawski, Grahman) And try to get together with a pro who can help you out, if collar conditioning is done right it's great but if done wrong it's not so good.

I wouldnt train or hunt with out a shock collar on my dog. I slowly introduced him to the collar when he was 6 months, and only lighly knicked him a few times. ever since those few knicks I havent even turned the collar on when training. Great Training tool, not for punishment

Does anyone have any feedback on the TriTronics Sport Basic G3? I've had TriTronics before and was very happy. I'm strictly an upland hunter.

I've got this one and I love it. The price point wasn't too painful, it has a pager feature and fits in my hand well (I hated fumbling with the hardcore cylinders that the more advanced models use). The strength of the nick is very tunable, comes with a spare set of prongs for dogs with longer hair and a decent demo dvd.

We're also looking at getting a second dog, so the ability to be able to quickly switch between three collars is a great concept (though I doubt I will ever hunt over both dogs at the same time).

I can't speak much for its effective range, as that wont be determined till this fall.

Agreed with the above statements. I think that while dogs can certainly be and have been trained for years without collars, people also fished for years without electronics. For me it is an instant correction that can be made at a distance while allowing your dog to learn while doing instead of keeping him/her on a check cord to be able to correct.

Like was stated earlier to me its now more of a safety/locate tool that anything. If my dog is heading towards a dangerous situation I would rather roll her with the collar than have her meet an untimely end.

I wouldnt train or hunt with out a shock collar on my dog. I slowly introduced him to the collar when he was 6 months, and only lighly knicked him a few times. ever since those few knicks I havent even turned the collar on when training. Great Training tool, not for punishment

The whole CC process should take 4 to 6 weeks, when done properly it's more than slowly introducing them and involves ALOT more than lightly nicking a few times. The point of the conditioning process is so they will understand the correction. When the time comes that you do make a big correction they won't understand it. If the collar is around the dogs neck it should be on what is the point of having it on if it can't be used?? Best to follow a PROVEN training program to get the best results.

I've had the Dogtra collar w/ great results. It has never let me down.

I'm working w/ Brittanies & have never had to use the shock portion, only the vibrate to get their attention back.

The remote colar is a invaluble device in the right hands, it's not a learning device.

Your dog should know all the commands you are trying to enforce befrore you even THINK about strapping a ~ shock collar on. (Period)

The whole CC process should take 4 to 6 weeks, when done properly it's more than slowly introducing them and involves ALOT more than lightly nicking a few times. The point of the conditioning process is so they will understand the correction. When the time comes that you do make a big correction they won't understand it. If the collar is around the dogs neck it should be on what is the point of having it on if it can't be used?? Best to follow a PROVEN training program to get the best results.

It works for me and my dog, what else can I ask. I just offered my opinion sorry!