• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

On the Way Home

Just haven't had any time to get much shooting other than business done recently. I do pick up a shot or two on my way to work and back. Here are some from today:

Newly fledged raven:

Fraven1.jpg

Fraven2.jpg

And a raptor that I have no idea on ID - help please!

Raptor1.jpg

Raptor2.jpg

I was in a big hurry with my first comment. I want to return to these images, particularly the last one. The lighting is at a great angle, and there's an intimacy about this portrait that is engaging. The russet in the iris, which emphasizes and matches the russet in the breast feathers, also resonates strongly with me. It's the type of thing a portrait photographer sets up in a studio, and it's always very cool to see it happen off the cuff in a wild setting.

BTW, Ken, have you or Bo heard of or seen any eagles on the nest on the way to Bo's house? I've been wanting to borrow a CPS 800mm, but the times I've gone to the nest the last couple of weeks I've seen no activity. Hmmmm, maybe I'll get the lens anyway for those ospreys. smilesmile

Bo and I have talked about them, and sad to say, they weren't successful this year. Apparently a single destroyed egg was found at the base of the tree and the eagles have only occasionally been seen near the nest.

I did peek at the ospreys this week on the way by (on to Omaha to see Matti graduate) and mom was hunkered down on the nest. No time to take pics on that trip, but would like to get there myself, soon.

Thanks for the comments on the broad wing. He flew across the road in front of me and landed in a tree along the road and was accomodating enough to let me get some settings on my camera changed and out the door for a few shots. I think there was something on the roadside he was watching but after a few shots I was scheduled with another shoot and had to go. Was hoping to see him swoop down for something, but happy with what I got!