• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. 😀

• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
Paul Rohweller

Spring tackle roundup

Well another 95 days and we should be on soft water up here... That leaves me thinkin about the spring tackle run and the summers fishin..I need to update the jig box.. The one offered here at fishingminnesota.com by Scenic tackle is a dandy especially if you need jigs, the price is right and they are top quality jigs. A super box for the beginner to expert jig fisherperson. Other must haves for me this year is the book Precision Trolling, Man after using a buddies last season this is a real timesaver. I had to figure all that out on my own. Instead of taking a season to master a small handful of cranks, it just gives it to ya. not much thinking involved there! lol Cost of the book about 25$ the info within, priceless.. Rods and reels, hmm what way am I going to go there? Only need to replace one reel this season, possibly three new rods. All will be baitcasters, just seems easier for me. Other than tying up a ton of spinners looks like I'm in good shape! Until I start lookin again. Will it ever end??? lol Paul

------------------
Paul Rohweller
Pine to Prairie Guide Service
218-962-3387
http://fishingminnesota.com/pinetoprairie

[This message has been edited by Paul Rohweller (edited 01-30-2003).]

No - because there will always be a new toy you will just have to have! You know what they say about a boy and his toys - or is it a fisherman and his toys? grin.gif

------------------
Phyl

More like 65 days. I plan on hitting that soft water in April as soon as the lakes ice out grin.gif. I need to buy a few new rods and reels as I had several go out on me last seaon... my friend sat on one, the bail broke on another, and the seat screw cracked on my ultralight. And I need to re-stock on mono... all I have left on spools is 12, 14, 17, 4 and 20... does me litte good for the bass and eye rods.

Thats not to mention all the work I need to put into the boat for next season too... hmm..

[This message has been edited by Crawlerman (edited 01-31-2003).]

Sure beats the heck out of work though!

Looking forward to "tackle" some fishing line decisions, rod storage issues and some boat maintenance jobs. I guess the darn job things helps pay for the important stuff.

Has anyone bought or used an ANTI BACKLASH BAITCASTING reels and how good are they. I have never used a bait caster before but i like how they look and the many good things people have to say about them but i dont want to deal with the backlash lol

Hi Paul!

I'm not a "tackle junkie" like I was years ago...simply the basics in basic colors for me now. It takes lots of convincing for any particular bait to make it's presence permanent in my modest box.

But - some of those new Storm plastics really look like winners. I picked up a combo kit of 5" & 6" WildEye Swim Shads the other day. These baby's are going to get a workout to see if they can "earn a spot". It appears to me to be an extremely practical and versatile bait since it can be worked both horizontally and vertically, along with trolling. An added bonus is that they will lay flat in the box and not take up much space.

Last year's "winner" was definitely a Reef Runner Little Ripper for open water trolling just before and after sundown. I'll be adding a few more of those in this year, also.

The hard part is to eject an old favorite from it's place, but then again, some always to make it back in.

FLB

USPENAMC

In my humble opinion there is no such thing as an anti-backlash reel. At least I don't think any of them are fool proof. Abu Garcia came out with one a couple years ago and it flopped. Decent idea bad design. Anyways there is a lot of ways to reduce backlash. The most common one is practice. grin.gif Other than that lots of reels have weights inside on the spool to make the spool spin faster or slower. Depending on your likeing. Also the spool brake is helpful. Well I hope this helps ya out.

Chev

storm soft plastics are just aboot the only soft plastics i use anymore. The bass just seem to love them. Wildeye swim shads are the best

Thanks Chev Truck youre probably right practice makes perfect or so the saying goes. and about the storm lures i used them all this summer the wildeye they have a built in weight for long casting and i mean they get hit like nothing else ive seen they work really good i bought 20 bags of all kinds they have a small draw back. the eyes pop out pretty easy but thats expected when you have a northern biting on soft plastic lol but i just reuse the weight and hook on tubes adds extra weight this is the way to go they are cheap also.

I'm an amautuer when it comes to baitcasters, as I only own one. The Ambasudeur I have doesn't backlash that often on me. I have less backlashes than I do birdsnests on any of my spinning gear. It's a nice lil reel. If I get another baitcaster combo it's gotta be an Abu wink.gif