• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Anyone buy a new Lund this spring and is still waiting?

whitebassman

Hi all.

I am just wondering how long it has taking in your experience to receive delivery of a new boat you purchased from factory. I purchased a new Lund at the end of March and am still waiting. Dealer said it may be till about opener weekend time. Which is fine for me as we will be out of town for two weeks starting that weekend anyways. This is the same time frame that other dealers quoted when I was boat shopping. So just curious how long people have waited for delivery, I am anxious to start using it!

I thought the boat industry was hurting, so how come the long delay of 6-8 weeks? Or is this the typical amount of time to make a boat? I have not visited the factory in New York Mills, but am tempted as it is not far from my location.

I thought the boat industry was hurting, so how come the long delay of 6-8 weeks? Or is this the typical amount of time to make a boat? I have not visited the factory in New York Mills, but am tempted as it is not far from my location.

Because of the backoff on the boating industry last year, field inventories are low, meaning most of the new orders have to come from the factory.

If you can get a tour I would... it's amazing how much goes into making a boat.. that's for sure!

marine_man

If you can get a tour I would... it's amazing how much goes into making a boat.. that's for sure!

How does one go about getting a tour? Do you just drive up there and show up or do you need to call first? I'm seriously considering a Lund as my next boat and I think it would be neat to get a factory tour and see everything that goes into these boats.

I toured the St. Peter Alumacraft plant a couple years ago. And yes, it is amazing how much work goes into making a boat. I guess I thought it would be more automated, but it was a lot of hand labor instead.

That is why made in usa products rock and are expensive! No cheap china labor

I have heard a rumor that Merc is out of some 4 stroke engines... that demand has outpaced supply quite a bit, and that the marine market seems to be recovering quicker than originally forecasted. Something I heard... but heard third hand.

marine_man

Marine_Man may be right. Either way, I'd still either call or show up there in person to get an update. A friendly smile and a good attitude on a personal visit might help speed things up. Who knows, maybe they'll toss a motor on your boat before someone else's just because you've made some kind of personal connection.

I purchased a boat in January, Dealer told me that outboards were going to be a problem this year. Up to six months to get an outboard from the manufacturer. Talking to there financial guy, he said that they are making more money on selling outboards to other dealers than they do on a boat motor package.

I would say motors are the issue as well...when I ordered my Alumacraft last november, the boat came in in 4 weeks but there were literally no 60 hp Merc 4's to be had anywhere. took 2.5 months to get the motor - it was literally on the slow boat from china!

Hi all.

Just for comparison's sake, I bought a new Skeeter at the end of March as well. I asked both my salesman and the owner if it'd be here by opener, they both said "yes". I didn't hear any updates since original purchase (color scheme finalization/ build date), so I emailed the manufacturer last week. They emailed back and said my build date was May 4th and for all other concerns I'd have to contact the dealer. That got me a little riled-up, so I called the salesman and told him that if the boat couldn't be here by opener, that they need NOT build it, as that was the deal going in. He relayed my information to the dealer rep. and then got back with me the next day and wanted to know my color-scheme for the build. He also said that the boat would be here in time. I think that if I didn't make that phone call and be a little "assertive", my boat wouldn't have gotten here til the end of May.

By the sounds of it, a 6 to 8 week or more build time is the norm across the industry. Good luck with the new boat.

In a couple of conversations with my local marine dealer at the show and his dealership.....The recession is not hurting the boat industry, they are selling the [PoorWordUsage] out of the big boy toys. This may have not been expected by the manufactures, and thus a shortage of parts may have occured creating backorders. When you decided to buy a boat, was there nothing on the showroom floor you could have in-housed rigged and trailered home the next week? It's like buying a truck, here is what I want find one ....Back in 2001 I ordered a truck in Jan and took delivery in late May, but I got what I wanted, well worth the wait. Good Luck.

When you decided to buy a boat, was there nothing on the showroom floor you could have in-housed rigged and trailered home the next week? It's like buying a truck, here is what I want find one ....Back in 2001 I ordered a truck in Jan and took delivery in late May, but I got what I wanted, well worth the wait. Good Luck.

In fact there was the boat i wanted at the nw sportshow, but i ended up going with a different dealer closer to home and they gave a much better price. I know the wait will be worth it. Just getting anxious to have my new baby! With a two week road trip coming up i wont be able to use it til beginnning of june anyways. But i want to have it here when i get back to start fishing the big lakes right away!

Called dealer again today. They said estimated pick up date from factory is May 14. The day before opener. It wont be rigged. But it is all good cause we will be leaving that night for a two week road trip to Yosemite National Park. So boat should be ready when we get back Memorial weekend. Best part is i dont work till Thursday that week so I am hoping to be able to take it out that week!

I just talked to a buddy who works at Lunds, he said that they are just swamped with work right now. Another thing he said was that they are setting up the Crestliner line right now, so they are making room for an extra 40 people who will be welding up the Crestliner hulls. The rigging shop is out back of the main building and only holds 2 boats at a time, so it's no shock that your boat isn't coming pre-rigged, although the dealers like to do their own, so they can charge you more for it. Lastly, if you're ever in the area, you should give them a call and do the tour. You will appreciate the craftsmanship that goes into your boat a lot more after doing the tour.

Yea despite the merc prerigging i have found that most dealers recognize that is [PoorWordUsage] and do offer yamaha and honda, but there is the extra fee for rigging. I just look at it as getting a discount on merc prerigged on rather than extra for other motors. To be honest i have not much experience in large motors to have developed an affinity for either brand. The exception is evinrude/johnson. I only wish i could do a suzuki. Everyon i talk to loves them, but not as many dealers/repair shops in the little falls/brainerd area.