• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Gopher recruit backs out

brmuskie

From Roman Augustoviz in the Star Tribune Online

Ryan Walters, a high-scoring forward for Des Moines of the USHL, has de-committed to the Gophers.

Walters met with the Gophers coaches on Friday and was asked to play a third year of junior hockey and to be less of an agitator, according to his father.

Walters decided on Saturday that he will play college hockey somewhere else.

Walters, 18, committed to the Gophers in October of 2007 when he was a sophomore at St. Thomas Academy. He has played for Des Moines the past two seasons.

He had 21 goals and 40 assists for 61 points this season, which puts him 12th in the league in scoring.

But the Gophers apparently did not have room on their 2010-11 roster for him.

They had 11 forwards returning, with Jay Barriball coming back after getting an extra year. He applied for a medical hardship because he missed almost all of last season after knee surgery.

The Gophers also have at least six forwards coming in, four from the USHL: Seth Ambroz and Erik Haula of Omaha and Nate Condon of Fargo and Tom Serratore of Youngstown. Nick Bjugstad of Blaine High School and Jared Larson of the Fairbanks Ice Dogs of the NAHL are the other two.

Ambroz and Nick Bjugstad of Blaine accelerated their high school education to start college a year early.

Gophers coach Don Lucia has said he does not expect anyone else besides sophomore center Jordan Schroeder -- who signed with Vancouver -- to leave early.

So that's 17 forwards. Only 12 can play a night.

After three disappointing seasons in a row, which included several key injuries, Lucia has said he wants more players next season in case of injuries, and also so he has more roster flexibility. If someone is not playing well, he can sit them out.

Looks as if Lucia will have that option this coming season.

Can't say I'm happy about this, Walters looked to be a very good college hockey player. Probably not NHL material but had the potential to be a high scoring 4 year player. I was kind of surprised to hear they wanted to keeping him in Jr another year, he has put in his time there and really seemed ready for D1. I'm fairly certain there are plenty of other schools gunning for this kid right now, a future gopher killer for sure.

You know most years this really wouldn't be that big of a deal, this kind of stuff does happen fairly regular among coaches/players in all college sports. However, with the last three down years and a marry-go-round of coaches and players leaving early for a variety of reasons you just can't help but think our entire Gopher program is a mess right now.

Its kind of hard to believe they wanted the kid to tone down the "agitator" part of his game. Considering half our guys seem to sleep walk through games most nights I would think anyone with an edge would be welcome with open arms.

We have to be pretty close to the bottom of the hill by now. The question is will we turn things around or stay near the bottom for a while.

I really feel this is a make or break year for Lucia, time will tell.

I don't think skill is much of an issue here Pier, the kid has the goods. Hard to say what is going on behind the scene but with our recent record and long list of recent "issues" its getting harder and harder to defend Lucia. I've defended him in the past and I really hope he turns things around soon.

I am not too worried about this. Im sure their is more going on behind the scenes. If the kid is a hack it sounds like a future Sioux player. If there isnt room on the Gophs there isnt room. Nothing you can do about it. We have 2 guys coming in early that the staff thinks will be better. I just hope we aren't taking a few 2 year and out guys to replace this kid.

We will see what happens. wither way I have no faith in Lucia anymore. 3 worst season of any gopher coach ever.

So Lucia told the kid the truth that he is not good enough and too big of a HACK to crack the line-up next season so it's best you play another season in Juniors.

Big Deal!

I disagree Pier, Walters would have been a great role player, a guy that can check top lines, kill penalties and give the team some pts.

Thats what "The Don" has got away from, solid role players, guys like John Waibel, Jake Fleming, Matt Demarchi, Erik Wendall, and Pat O'Leary types, guys that are ultimate team players

Teams can't have offensive superstars on the 3rd and 4th lines, it will never work

Good points Sneak and Bear!

I get everything T-Don does now is under the micro-scope and open to critique that's his doing!

With-out knowing the details it does sound like this kid could have helped us but T-Don and Gopherville for whatever reason thought it best he play another year of JR's!

Do or die for the Luci' next year!

Ok enough of all this negativity, the gophers scored 106 goals last year. In my best Charlie Donovan voice:

stink.jpg

"I figure we need around 130 to turn this thing around." Anyone think we can do it?

Our Sr class will have to lead the way with a combo of 60 goals from Hoeffel, Cepis, White, Wehrs, Fairchild, and Barribal. Without these guys we are toast, if they come up a little short we should be ok.

Ok Jrs you haven't shown us much so far and I don't think people are expecting too much, who knows maybe they will even suprise us. I'm thinking with a little more production we can see 25 goals out of Saccetti, Hanson, Ness, Larson, Mattson. If Hanson is going to do anything big this is the year to step up!

Our Sophs are not a very large class but they appear to be a solid group. Budish and Birkholz showed flashes last year and if Leddy and Helgeson can play solid D and chip in a goal here and there (Leddy) I think this group can score 20 easy and just maybe 25 with Budish doing most of the heavy lifting.

We have a large and talented Freshmen class, this is asking a lot but they will need to contribute big time if this team is to succeed. I think 35 goals is a big number but it is possible. Ambroz, Bjugstad, and Haula will have to get very close to 10 goal each (maybe that is wishful thinking on my part) and the rest of the group will have to fill in the gaps. Condon has some skills and I hear Schmidt has a cannon of a shot. Alt will see come ice time, Parenteau, Serratore, and Larson will probably get spot duty but hopefully the rest of this class can fill in the gaps.

60+25+20+35=140 goals, so with a 10 goal margin of error we just might be able to reach 130. I welcome Sioux and other WCHA fans to bash away.

You really put some work into that. I like it. Those appear to be some good numbers to go after. Unfortunatley we are going to need about 170 to get anywhere. Our Seniors are going to have to 60, Juniors 35, sophmores 35 and our freshman... Maybe 45, thats a high number but we have done it before.

Thats 175, would be nice. We will see. We have had a freshman class get 80 goals before, this class is going to have to be a big part of the success.

I'm not sure if any team scored 170 goals last season, in the WCHA CC had 140 and Denver and WI were in the 130's.

I don't know if we will ever see freshmen class score 80 goals again, those days are long gone.

fishing tech I think its safe to say Guentzel was a huge loss to the program. I believe he worked with the D and the power play and both have suffered since he left. If Lucia were to be canned I think Guentzel would be one name on a very short list to replace him.

Well the way I see it is, Throw away the last 3 years which were terrible. Prior to that 160 was no problem.

Out national championship years we had 189 and 197. Not saying we have those types of players, just saying what we need to get it done. When you have bad goaltending like the gophs always have, you need to get 5 and 6 goals a game.

Guentzel left after 14 years, prior to the 08-09 season. Along with him went the tradition of the Gophers developing All-American defense men. Look at how short our future defensive stars have come up. Guentzel was only 1 of 2 coaches that I could think of to replace Don.

I think scoring is down across the NCAA from those NC years. I would have to check on that for sure but you don't see too many 80 point guys (Pohl) and very few players get above 30 goals anymore. I think Taffe had 35 in 2002.

bear55---anybody can pull numbers out of their arse... so you just made up all those numbers and expect the gophers to be good next yr because YOU think they are going to score 140 goals? highly doubltful... whats more likely is the gophers suck next year, AGAIN, and lucia gets fired. gopher hockey is in shambles right now and rightfully so

I would love to see Lucia fired, however I dont want to sacrifice another season to do it. 3 horrible years, I wouldnt say shambles. They can still recruit pretty much whoever they want to. Next year will be better, I just dont know if they can get that much better in one year with Lucia. I think the will get 140 goals. Even if they do, that wont be enough.

3 horrible years, I wouldnt say shambles. They can still recruit pretty much whoever they want to. Next year will be better

you said it yourself, they can recruit whoever they want... yet, for the past 3 years, they have done absolutely nothing with the talent they have brought in... if the talent is there, and they still aren't winning, then who is to blame? i would say the coach...

like you said, they can recruit whoever they want, yet they continue to suck it up.. i would say that would be close to the definition of shambles

bear55---anybody can pull numbers out of their arse... so you just made up all those numbers and expect the gophers to be good next yr because YOU think they are going to score 140 goals? highly doubltful... whats more likely is the gophers suck next year, AGAIN, and lucia gets fired. gopher hockey is in shambles right now and rightfully so

jwmiller33

For the most part I was just trying to lighten the mood a little and put a positive spin on things. I don't think anyone will say the gophers program is in good shape right now.

Yes I was pulling numbers out of my arse but I also put some thought into it and if you look at the players and recruits the numbers are not that far out of reach if the Gophers play better next year. Its pretty obvious that there are more questions then answers and the gophers will have to play as a team next year, tighten up the defense and show a little heart but there is plenty of talent on the team so a big turn around is not out of the question.

Top to bottom the NCAA teams are much more even then they use to be, years ago there were maybe 6-8 teams that had the right "stuff" to win the NC but now we are seeing a lot more upsets and any of the top 12-15 teams gets hot at the right time they could make a run. Just look at Michigan State a few years back, look at RIT and Bemidji making the Frozen 4 - these kind of upset weren't happening in the early 2000's. My whole point being the Gophers have the skill, it won't take that much to turn things around and become a contender again. I will agree that the odds are against them but its not that much of a stretch to see them making the top 3 WCHA and getting a 2 or 3 seed in the NCAA's.

From what I can tell there is about a 99% change Lucia is behind the bench next year so weather you like him or not we are stuck with him. I tend to lean to the positive side of things, for me there isn't much sense in going into a new season thinking we are going to suck again or hoping we tank. If we suck again next year we probably get a new coach and our turnaround can begin.

Bear55-i completely understand your theory and reasoning. you are definitely right, the talent is there for the gophs, and has been for the past few years, one cannot argue against that... what i find intriguing is that the gophers have continued to under perform year after year, even with the fact that they have basically been recruiting anyone they want... if the talent is there and they cannot win games, who is to blame?

I have to blame the entire coaching staff. It is an absolute joke that Grant Potulny, someone who has never coached is one of our assistants. They are giving Lucia one more chance, 1 more too many if you asked me. Maybe they are giving him a chance to retire after the year because of his health issues. I think there might also be a lack of anyone to replace him with. I know we have said Blais and Guenzel, but who else and maybe Guentzel doesnt like Matturri, who knows.

I would have to say it is shambles, once the gophers can no longer bring in top talent.

No doubt a lot of fingers are pointed at Lucia right now and rightly so. He is also pretty much locked in as our coach next year so we are stuck with him. I feel this is a make or break year for him so we are either going to turn things around or we don't and we get a new coach. For some people 3 down years is too much but for others the 2NC's has bought Lucia some time to turn things around. Try and remember how long 23 years was between titles and how much credit Lucia deserves for those 2 titles we did win not that long ago.