• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Spring sucker run

patrat78

Im from west of Bemidji and I ran over there and got a bunch below the powerdam on the river yesterday. I only kept twenty but I know I cought close to a hundred. It was a blast. Odd thing was out of the twenty I kept only one female in the bunch. does this mean they havent really started yet? If thats so, when they do get in there youll be able to walk across the river on their backs!! Saw some really nice walleye in there too.Good thing Im a law abiding fellow!

I went out today in the Little Falls area and seen about 40 of them in my favorite spot. I tried for over an hour but couldn't get them to bite. I ended up catching only one male.

Im from west of Bemidji and I ran over there and got a bunch below the powerdam on the river yesterday. I only kept twenty but I know I cought close to a hundred. It was a blast. Odd thing was out of the twenty I kept only one female in the bunch. does this mean they havent really started yet? If thats so, when they do get in there youll be able to walk across the river on their backs!! Saw some really nice walleye in there too.Good thing Im a law abiding fellow!

Hope it was below Hwy 12 because that section of river is currently closed: http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/recreation/fishing/seasonalclosures.pdf

Mississippi River Below Ottertail Power Dam to Co Rd 12 Beltrami April 9 – May 14

This is NOT about restricting people from fishing it's about protecting spawning fish. The DNR has done this for quite some time now and it really shouldn't come as a surprise. Some of the state's best waters are closed to protect the walleyes, such as the Sea Gull River (state record anyone?) until May 28.

Sorry, My bad,

I guess I just never knew about it.

I grew up hook and lining suckers every spring in the rivers of Northern Minnesota.

I don't do it anymore (hence the surprise), but I would hate to see the young ones not have that same opportunity.

the closure is necessary not just to protect spawning walleyes and other gamefish, but also to protect their spawning beds. Sites like the power dam in Bemidji get a lot of foot traffic right through some sensitive spawning areas.

Sites like the power dam in Bemidji get a lot of foot traffic right through some sensitive spawning areas.

Ahhh,

That is something I never even thought of.

Growing up we hook and lined them from the bank so it never even crossed my mind that people would be walking though spawning areas.

Thanks DEADhead