• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Horse Power Ratings

kg2

There is a class action lawsuit going on against many lawn mower companies and engine manufacturers. I got a notice in the mail the other day. The lawsuit claims that the defendants misrepresented and overstated the HP ratings of their mowers and engines. If you purchased a gas mower up to 30hp between 1994-2010 you can opt in the class action. You can submit the info on line. lawn mower class dot com

Hopefully the practice of overstating HP comes to an end with a "Certified Power Rating" standard in place.

"Up to $35" for a walk behind or "up to $75" for a rider. You may be right, though.

How could overstating the horsepower of a lawnmower engine have hurt anyone? My 5HP Toro mower is really only 4.43HP. So what, it does the job I purchased it for. Chucker is right above. A law firm will be the only beneficiary of this lawsuit.

If this were safety issue or something a little more meaningful, I could understand the need for it more. I agree with some of the statements above. The lawyers will get rich, and some customers may get a small return, which will then be passed onto future customers. I'm happy with how both my push mower and my rider function, no need for me to file suit.

If this were safety issue or something a little more meaningful, I could understand the need for it more. I agree with some of the statements above. The lawyers will get rich, and some customers may get a small return, which will then be passed onto future customers. I'm happy with how both my push mower and my rider function, no need for me to file suit.

excatly.. wonder who really started this suit

I dont think I'll; lose any sleep over this knowing my 5 hp is only a4.43hp I know Tim Taylor would thou you Bin Ford ...oh thats fake too laugh

As always, the only ones that will make any real money will be the lawyers. Most people who join the suit will maybe end up with $5, maybe less. Because of this most motors are now rated in torque. So much fun to explain that to my customers smile

p.s. I'm in the power equipment business

If you pay good money for 5 HP, then you deserve 5 HP. I am joining the class action, if only to send a small message.

You are getting a 5HP engine, but at a higher RPM than they are setup to operate at. It is more of a "fine print" issue. In other words the manufacturer says it puts out 5HP at 4000RPM, but the mower is setup to operate at 3500 RPM, so you technically aren't getting 5HP as setup.

You are getting a 5HP engine, but at a higher RPM than they are setup to operate at. It is more of a "fine print" issue. In other words the manufacturer says it puts out 5HP at 4000RPM, but the mower is setup to operate at 3500 RPM, so you technically aren't getting 5HP as setup.

So what if I bought a mower that was sold as "5 hp at 4000 rpm" but it only puts out "4 hp at 4000 rpm" and is set up to run at 3000 rpm, so I'm only getting 3.2 hp?

I think its a matter of truth in advertising.

I dont have time to be filling out paperwork, so I'll have to pass on this one.

Originally Posted By: spearchucker

So what if I bought a mower that was sold as "5 hp at 4000 rpm" but it only puts out "4 hp at 4000 rpm" and is set up to run at 3000 rpm, so I'm only getting 3.2 hp?

I think its a matter of truth in advertising.

I dont have time to be filling out paperwork, so I'll have to pass on this one.

It would be on the mower manufacturer, not the engine manufacturer in this case.

It would be on the mower manufacturer, not the engine manufacturer in this case.

True, ultimately its the responsibility of the manufacturer of the final product to label their items correctly. I'm assuming they are putting out the brochures with the specs and could even be printing the labels.

I dont understand why people are against this. If I paid for 5hp I WANT HP! Whats so wrong with that? Its not so much getting any money back its that they wont be selling a 4hp as a 5hp in the future. If you paid for 20gal of gas would you be happy with 18gal? I dont think so!