• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Drivers License in the Boat?

SkunkedAgain

delcecchi,

yes that stuff is on the fishing license but it does not have a picture of you on it. now yes I believe the modern computer system the co's use can pull up your pic from your DL or ID but if I am wrong someone correct my thinking.

The original question was whether it was unlawful to be fishing without some form of government issued photo ID. It would appear the answer to that question is no. At the same time it does make sense to carry ID with you. If nothing else, in the event of a life-threatening situation or worse, at least you could be identified.

Actually, my original question was purely about boating. However, when fishing I always keep my fishing license in my tackle box so it's with me no matter what. My original question revolved around my two different boating modes.

When I'm fishing in the Cities (like yesterday for crappies on Minnetonka), I've got my driver's license, wallet, and even my cell phone on me in the boat.

When I'm up north, all that stuff gets tossed in the back room for the entire trip unless I'm planning to stop at a bar for lunch. So usually up north, I am boating without my driver's license and hence the question.

It sounds like it's perfectly legal the way that I've been doing it. I won't change just because someone called us all a bunch of school girls on the forum.

Up here, the coast guard REQUIRES photo ID, either a drivers license or other state ID. I know cause I was boarded by them last week. Save the hassles and bring it with no matter where you are boating, up north or down south.

The rules might be different in commercial shipping lanes.

I have been asked for another form of I.D. from a warden, when asked why, he said just making sure you are the guy named on the license/ You wouldn:t beleive the people we catch borrowing a license for one day of fishing.

I have been asked for another form of I.D. from a warden, when asked why, he said just making sure you are the guy named on the license/ You wouldn:t beleive the people we catch borrowing a license for one day of fishing.

He might ask for it and he's perfectly legal to do so but if you don't happen to have it along, I'm not sure there is too much he could do about it.

You have to have a license on you for fishing in a boat, so why wouldn't people bring their driver's licenses with as well? I just don't get it. It doesn't take up THAT much room. There should always be a spot you could put it. Besides, what happens if there ever was an accident? Don't you want your insurance cards with you as well?

Originally Posted By: efgh

He might ask for it and he's perfectly legal to do so but if you don't happen to have it along, I'm not sure there is too much he could do about it.

Of course he can. He can do detain you in any number of ways until he finds out who you really are.

Just bring along the ID that is smaller than a playing card along with you and you never have to worry. Keep your license and ID in your wallet and you will never have to think about this question again...its really not that large of a inconvienence so I just dont see it as that big of a deal

Of course he can. He can do detain you in any number of ways until he finds out who you really are./quote]

Are you sure? Give an example. Unless he is going to charge me with a crime I don't see how he could detain me for anything. That would fall dangerously close to unreasonable seizure and I know I would be talking to an attorney. Besides, he would know who I really am. It would have that information on my fishing license and I would tell him directly who I was.

This isn't about being antagonistic toward law enforcement. The question was whether we were required by law to have government issued photo ID on us. Obviously it might make sense, can simplify things, and there are advantages to having it on us all the time but legally, there is no law in MN that requires this. We are required to have our driver's license on our person while operating a vehicle on public roadways. Note that it is not required if you're on private property. We are required to have a boater's safety permit on our person if we operate a boat over 25hp between the ages of 12 and 17 inclusive. We are required to have our appropriate hunting license on our person while hunting afield or transporting game. We are required to have our fishing license on our person while fishing. Note that it is not required just because we are in a boat or near water. It's only required if we are fishing or transporting fish.

You guys want to turn this into some kind of attempt to bash or hassle law enforcement. He wasn't looking for some stupid loophole to raise his nose at law enforcement. It was a simple question with a simple yes or no answer and the answer is no, you do not have to have a government issue photo ID with you while fishing.

I get visited a lot by COs while hunting and fishing. I have never been asked to produce a photo ID. I have been asked where I live, I have been asked for my appropriate game licenses, I have been asked to inspect my firearm, I have been asked about having a fire-extinguisher on board, I have been asked about having a warning horn on board, I have been asked about my PFDs, and I have been asked about my throwable floatation but I have never been asked to produce a photo ID.

I even failed to have my fishing license with me one time. Lucky for me he didn't press charges. That was the time he asked where I lived. When I told him, he began to ask specific questions about my property. My guess was that he knew the property well and was probing to see if I was telling him the truth. I had recently moved to the area within the past 5 years and had been remodeling the home. If it was required to have photo ID, that would definitely have been one time I would expect him to ask for it simply to prove my address since where I told him I lived was a rural address, my photo ID would have that address on it.

LEO's can detain people without charging them with a crime. There are time frames for how long they can hold you before they either have to charge you or release you. Believe me, I've been there. They show the evidence they may have to a judge if they want to hold you longer or the the DA to see if they want to charge you with something.

Although not a direct answer to the question, a possible solution:

1. Take your DL, fishing license, and health insurance card. Set on copy machine.

2. Press "start" or "copy"

3. Take newly produced copy, place in ziplock bag.

4. Place zip-lock bag in the boat or your tackle box.

Wa'La - now you have the vital information you may need, even if you forget your wallet in the cabin, get in a accident, or fall in the water and lose your wallet.