• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Frog migration

erikwells

Every fall the frogs make the migration to bigger water. Why? Doe's the bigger water offer more protection? Are they actually hibernating in the water? If so how do they breathe? Lots of questions of why. I know someone can help being there are so many knowledgable people on this site. Thanks so much.

I believe they bury themselves in the mud and freeze solid.

In the spring they thaw out and hop to the road, where they are run over by big trucks.

PCG

You can do a search on the net for "Frog Hibernation" and pretty much get all the info. you need. In short, they go to the deeper bodies of water to avoid freezing solid, they typically burrow into the mud, sometimes in small groups etc. The frog's body temp becomes similar to the surrounding water/mud and the metabolism is basically shut down (hibernation) until the water/mud slowly warms and the frogs become more active again. With the changing night time temps you will see many migrations to and from the water until the temps get cool enough to drive them into the water/mud for good. Hope this helps.

PCG, the frogs getting run over by big trucks; do you know if that is an instinct or a learned behavior? The swallows return to Capistrano, the Monarch butterfly returns to Mexico and the leopard frog seeks asphalt and radial tires. I really hate hitting those little guys. Thanks for the responses.

Frogs hit by trucks a learned behavior? If it is, then I'd say it's what is commonly called "one shot learning". They learn it, then are squished into oblivion.
Scott

OK, while were talking about frogs, hibernation and their death defying crossings of open flat plains under bright headlights. I have a question to throw out. I was alway's told by the "old time" fishermen/women that as the frogs are just about ready for their last trip into the water that their mouths basically seal tight and during this time period their skin gives off a scent or that they taste bad which helps them from being eaten by many of the predator fish? I'm sure I learned if that was true or not in one of my College Biology classes but like many other things from those day's, I think I may have "killed" that brain cell!!! LMAO!!!

I was told that they form a mucus ball around them when they finally hibernate.I would think that would not taste so good!However a squished frog is a good thing especially when attached to a hook!Get the spatula...its time to get some bait smile.gif

I have seen frogs swimming under the ice, and sitting on the bottom too, also I have filleted fish I caught in the winter with frogs in them. If I was froggy, I wouldn't venture out too deep in the winter haha

Cyb

I too have seen frogs under the ice in the spring, I think those were the stupid ones that came out to early. The smart frogs dig in next to the turtles.

BE, some of the best walleye fishing I ever had as a youngster was fall fishing with my Dad along shore with frogs I would find for us under the flat rocks. Many a night with my Dad on Diamond Lake long lining a frog with a plain hook in front of the weeds and getting big walleye's. I'll be fishing with them tonight!! Thanks for the sarcasm though!! Good Fishing!

Borch, been quite a few years since I've fished it, my Uncle use to have a place on the South shore and we put a lot of time on the lake back then. We use to pull the frogs in front of the weeds more to the Southeast side of the lake (I don't even know if they are there anymore). I talked to a guy who was getting huge crappies out of Diamond about a week ago. Funny thing is I asked him how many people were out fishing them? He held his hand up and said "one"! Ya gotta love them old timers!! LOL Good Fishing!

BE,

You're funny. I know we'd never catch you with a frog on the line. Catfish hate frogs. wink.gif
So do walleyes wink.gif Burp! blush.gif

Doublecubed,

My dad and I were talking about diamond just the other day. We fished it earlier this summer for the first time with a little luck. Both of us were thinking it would be a good frog lake in the fall. Sounds like maybe we're on the right track.

Have a great fall.